Modern Languages TLEs
Students studying modern languages at Carthage begin their language instruction with courses taught by native speakers. Target Language Experts are young university graduates from around the world who are hired by the College to teach introductory language and advanced conversation courses.
Every year, new TLEs come to Carthage from China, Colombia, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, and Spain. They bring with them their native language, new ideas for the classroom, and enthusiasm that motivates their students. While at Carthage, TLEs receive a stipend and room and board and take classes that may lead toward a master’s degree in education.
Questions? Contact Professor Gregory Baer, chair of the Modern Languages Department, at email@example.com.
Hear from our current TLEs:
About the Program
The Target Language Experts program brings graduate students from around the world to Carthage to teach introductory and conversation courses.
Most TLEs are at Carthage for two years. During that time, they are also students. Many travel to other American cities to learn about American culture. While they live in private rooms, they have host families in the area, who teach them about American family life. TLEs also take classes at Carthage toward a Master’s Degree in Education.
While at Carthage, TLEs…
- Teach two classes of first-year language per semester, plus a conversation weekly course one semester each year.
- Earn a stipend of US $5,000 for the first year, plus a $500 bonus, and an increase in the second year.
- Take classes (valued at $25,000 per year) that may lead toward a Master’s Degree in Education.
- Receive a private room and full board (food), valued at $7,000.
- Live in a small international community with other young people from Germany, France, Colombia, Mexico, Japan, and Spain.
Carthage requires that TLEs…
- Have sufficient command of English, to allow each one to participate in university courses and write papers in English.
- Have a university diploma before beginning the TLE program.
- Be interested in sharing their language and culture with young Americans.
- Be willing to spend two years in the United States living in a small international community on campus.
Target Language Experts who are judged by faculty to have sufficient skills to write a master’s thesis are permitted to pursue the diploma of Master of Education awarded by the College.
Apply to the Program
Individuals wishing to be considered for the Target Language Expert Program at Carthage College should complete the Target Language Expert Application Form.
APPLICANTS FROM GERMANY
Applicants from Germany should not use this online form. Instead please contact the following people for applications and additional information:
Applicants from the University of Heidelberg should contact Elisabeth Trnka-Hammel in the Akademisches Auslandsamt.
Applicants from the Herder-Institute at the University of Leipzig should contact Frau Diana Feick in the Praktikumsbüro of the Herder-Institut.
APPLICANTS FROM JAPAN
Please do not use the online form. Instead, please email Prof. Yan Wang at firstname.lastname@example.org for Japanese TLE applications and additional information.