Applying for Aid: Complete FAFSA
We encourage all students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal and state grants, loans, and work-study, and for some scholarships.
Carthage’s FAFSA code is 003839.
An FSA ID is a username and password that you must use to log in to certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID identifies you as someone who has the right to access your personal information.
If you are the parent or guardian of a dependent student, you will need your own FSA ID if you want to sign your child’s FAFSA electronically. If you have more than one child attending college, you can use your FSA ID to sign all applications, but each student will need their own.
Students and parents/guardians of dependent students can create an FSA ID at any time. If you don’t have one by the time you fill out your FAFSA, you will be prompted to apply for one.
Please note: Because your FSA ID is used to sign legally binding documents electronically, you should not give your FSA ID to anyone.
You can use your FSA ID to…
- Electronically sign your FAFSA.
- Import your tax information from the IRS.
- Prefill data in this year’s FAFSA if you filed a FAFSA last year (this is called a Renewal FAFSA).
- Make online corrections to an existing FAFSA.
- View or print an online copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- View a history of any federal student aid that you have received.
- Look up your loan servicer’s contact information.
- Electronically sign a master promissory note (MPN).
- Complete PLUS loan requests.
- Estimate your student loan payments using the Repayment Estimator.
- Apply for an income-driven repayment plan or consolidation loan.
- Find loan interest rates.
- Find information about types of financial aid.
Completing the FAFSA online is free and fast. Because some federal student aid programs have limited funds, it’s best to apply as soon as you can once the FAFSA is available for the year you will be attending school.
BE SURE TO:
- Complete all sections.
- List Carthage College as a recipient of your FAFSA information. Carthage College’s School Code is 003839.
- Electronically sign your application using your FSA ID and your parent’s FSA ID if you were required to give parental information.
- Submit your application. Print out a copy of the confirmation page for your records.
After submitting the FAFSA, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) from the U.S. Department of Education. Check all of the information for accuracy and follow up on any requests for additional information.
- The government will calculate your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the information you provide on the FAFSA. Your EFC will be listed on your Student Aid Report. (NOTE: The EFC does not represent the actual amount you may be charged at any given college or university. The EFC is used to determine your need-based financial assistance.)
- The Carthage College Office of Student Financial Services will award all types of federal, state, and institutional financial aid for which you qualify.
- Notify the Office of Student Financial Services if circumstances arise that impact your family’s financial resources (for example, job loss or a death in the family).
- You will be notified if additional financial information or documents are required.
- You can find any required paperwork in your Workday inbox.