Carthage College provides a motivating environment inspiring reflection and self-discovery so our students uncover and ignite their true potential. Take a look at some of our rankings and honors below.
Rankings and Honors
- The Princeton Review selected Carthage for its 2021 “Best in the Midwest” college feature.
- In its 2022 edition, U.S. News & World Report ranked Carthage No. 14 overall among Midwest Regional Colleges. We also received high marks in several subcategories: Best Colleges for Veterans (No. 1), Best Value Schools (No. 20), and a Top Performer on Social Mobility.
- Carthage is No. 3 in the country among baccalaureate institutions for student participation in short-term study abroad, according to the Institute of International Education.
Excellence in Academics
- For 13 years straight, Carthage projects have been selected for elite NASA research initiatives like the Flight Opportunities Program — which selects cross-cutting technologies essential to the emerging commercial aerospace industry.
- Carthage has been named a top producer of Fulbright U.S. Students in four of the past five years (2015-19). Read about Carthage Fulbright winners
- Carthage is among the best in the country at preparing undergraduate physics students for careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, according to the American Institute of Physics. Carthage was one of six programs nationwide that the AIP selected for a study on effective undergraduate physics education.
Excellence in the Fine Arts
- Carthage Theatre’s New Play Initiative brings some of the nation’s top playwrights to campus to develop original plays for Carthage students to perform. Participants have included Academy Award winner Eric Simonson, Emmy winner Rick Cleveland, and Writers’ Guild Award winner Keith Huff.
- Carthage Theatre is actively involved in the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival, from which actors, designers, and playwrights regularly receive regional or national commendation.
- Through competitive auditions, Carthage music students have been selected for exceptional young artist development programs, such as the Oregon Bach Festival Composers Symposium, Rocky Ridge Music Festival, and the Open Jar Institute in New York.
- Carthage music ensembles premiere new and commissioned works, collaborating with nationally and internationally recognized composers such as Ola Gjeilo, Stacy Garrop, Patrick Long, Tom Vignieri, and Alex Shapiro.
- Carthage voice students are actively involved in the National Association of Teachers of Singing, and exceptional Carthage singers frequently earn state honors in classical and music theatre voice.
Excellence in Athletics
- Carthage has won conference titles in 11 different sports over the past decade.
- In 2018, Carthage hosted the NCAA Division III Men’s Volleyball Championship.
- In 2021, the Carthage men’s volleyball team won Carthage’s first-ever team national championship.
- Carthage student-athletes have won 18 individual NCAA championships.
- Carthage has recently added four new athletics programs: women’s bowling, men’s and women’s wrestling, and esports.
A Classic Liberal Arts Education
- Carthage is the only college or university in the Midwest where every freshman takes a full-year sequence of foundational texts of the Western intellectual tradition.
A Top Choice
- Carthage receives more applications than any other private liberal arts institution in Wisconsin.
- Carthage is among the top choices for Illinois students who go out of state for college.