The Carthage Honors Program is an intellectual community of highly motivated students. The program seeks to enhance the Carthage experience through a wide variety of academic, cultural, and social opportunities.
The Honors Co-Curriculum
Honors students, with appropriate faculty encouragement and support, assume visible leadership in a variety of contexts across campus and help elevate its intellectual and cultural tones.
THE HONORS COUNCIL
The Honors Council serves as an umbrella organization for student-led Honors activities on campus. Through the Honors Council, students can participate in service projects, social activities, and special programming and student-faculty gatherings. The Honors Council has an executive board and is structured so students can provide input into the Honors curriculum, present papers at regional and national conferences, and apply to participate in off-campus and international Honors terms.
OUTINGS TO MUSEUMS, GALLERIES, MUSICAL/THEATRICAL EVENTS, AND MORE!
Honors students visit museums and attend musical and dramatic performances in Chicago and Milwaukee and Kenosha and Racine, Wisconsin.
REGIONAL AND NATIONAL CONFERENCES
Many Honors students in every discipline engage in undergraduate research and present their findings at regional and national conferences.
Students who strive to win a major fellowship, such as a Fulbright or Truman, receive guidance from the Director of Student Fellowships, who is affiliated with the Honors Program.
- Alpha Chi — Alpha Chi is a national college honor scholarship society whose purpose is to promote academic excellence and exemplary character among college students and to honor those who achieve such distinction. No more than the top 10 percent of the senior class may be inducted.
- Alpha Lambda Delta — This national honorary society recognizes outstanding academic achievement for first-year students.
- Sigma Xi — Sigma Xi is an international research society whose programs and activities promote the health of the scientific enterprise and honor scientific achievement. Students who show outstanding potential as researchers may be named as associate members.
- Omicron Delta Kappa — ODK is a national honorary society recognizing juniors and seniors for excelling in academic work and service to the community.
- Departmental Honoraries — Students may be invited to join discipline-specific national organizations that acknowledge excellent work.
See a full list of honorary clubs on The Harbor
Scholarships and Academic Planning
The Honors Program Director, the Director of Student Fellowships, and faculty advisors are available to assist qualified students in applying to graduate programs and for national and international fellowships such as the Rhodes, Marshall, Truman, Fulbright, and Mellon. Learn more about these scholarships at the links below: