Carthage has access to many electronic books and resources.
Electronic Texts from Professors
Ask your professor if they have access to an electronic version of the texts, in case they are familiar with that access.
Hedberg Library Catalog
The Hedberg Library catalog has an extensive collection of academic e-books.
- In the catalog, enter your search terms.
- Under “Held by Library” click “Carthage College Hedberg Library.” We are unable to borrow electronic texts or resources from other libraries.
- Under “Format” choose “eBook.”
- When you find an item in the results list you want, click “View eBook.” You will be asked to log in with your Carthage credentials because you are off-campus.
- Depending on the resource or database that provides this item, you may either read the full text online, download a pdf of the text, or be asked to download vendor-specific software (ebook reader software) to your computer. Some databases require users to check out ebooks, so you will only have access for a designated check-out period (just like physical books).
Open Access E-Textbooks and E-Books: Hedberg Library put together a list of free (or inexpensive) open-access e-textbooks and e-books.
Kenosha Public Library offers a Digital Library with many resources, both academic and leisure. Please take a look at the resources they offer, some of which are Freegal music, Hoopla streaming media, Overdrive ebooks, e-audiobooks, videos and music, and RB Digital e-magazines. Kenosha Public Library offers a temporary library card with which users can access digital materials.
Racine Public Library offers a Digital Library with many resources, both academic and leisure. Please take a look at the resources they offer, some of which are Flipster online magazines, Overdrive ebooks, Racine Public Library offers a temporary library card with which users can access digital materials.
If you don’t reside in Kenosha or Racine Counties, check out the resources at your local public library.
Many content providers are currently offering free access to e-content collections to keep schools up and running with the resources they need when so many physical library spaces are closed down.
Hedberg Library subscribes to ebooks through the list of vendors at the left. You may also search the catalog. Go to the Advanced Search in the catalog. Scroll down. Under Content Type, choose “Fiction” if you’d like and under Held by Library, choose “Carthage College Hedberg Library.”
Trial Databases: Some databases are offering free trials during this time. Please see Hedberg Library’s list of trial databases (in the column at the right of the page). Titles will change as new resources are offered).
Remember, if you are off-campus you must access the library databases through our website to utilize our subscriptions.