The dance minor curriculum consists of six credits of applied dance, 10 credits in foundations, and eight additional credits in recommended complementary courses. Dance courses can satisfy the applied exercise and sports science graduation requirement, as well as other requirements within the Carthage Plan.
Applied Dance (6 credits)
- DNC 1041 Applied Dance: Ballet I (1 credit)
- DNC 1043 Applied Dance: Tap I (1 credit)
- DNC 1044 Applied Dance: Jazz I (1 credit)
- DNC 1047 Applied Dance: Modern (1 credit)
- DNC 1050 Pilates (1 credit)
- DNC 2041 Applied Dance: Ballet II (1 credit)
- DNC 2043 Applied Dance: Tap II (1 credit)
- DNC 2044 Applied Dance: Jazz II (1 credit)
- DNC 2047 Applied Dance: Modern II (1 credit)
- DNC 2051 Applied Dance Styles (1 credit)
- DNC 3041 Advanced Ballet (1 credit)
- DNC 3044 Advanced Jazz (1 credit)
Foundation Courses (10 credits)
- DNC 1120 Dance Theory and Practices (2 credits)
- DNC 2060 Dance Theory and Composition I (2 credits)
- DNC 2070 Dance Choreography and Repertory (2 credits)
- DNC 3050 Dance History (4 credits)
Additional Courses (8 credits)
- DNC 200T Topics in Dance
- BIO 1040 Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- MUS 1150 Exploring Music (4 credits)
- Or any theatre courses at the 2000 level or above.
There are prerequisite requirements for all dance courses, excluding Level I technique courses. Students who wish to be considered for Level II, or advanced placement in dance classes, must either complete the course prerequisite requirement, or participate in one of the scholarship/placement auditions.
Students unable to attend audition dates can schedule a time to be observed participating in an ongoing technique class, or seek the instructor’s consent during the registration add/drop period at the beginning of each semester.
Current students, remember: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors and the department chair to ensure all requirements are met.