Careers in English
Students who major in English at Carthage develop skills that allow them to pursue any career that requires the ability to think critically and creatively. English students become informed and effective communicators.
An English major is a springboard to any profession rooted in critical and creative thought. For those specifically seeking work as full-time writers, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects 4 percent growth in the job market through 2031.
Please note that this list includes careers requiring differing degrees of education and training.
- Web page designer
- Development assistant
- Grant writer
- School administrator
- Book editor
- Copy editor
- Advertising Copywriter
- Teacher or professor
- Sports Editor
- News Editor
- Technical Writer
- Public and Media Relations
Alumni of the program work as writers, teachers, and a diverse mix of other occupations for employers such as:
- Kenosha County Clerk’s Office
- Milwaukee Institute of Art & Design
- Cook County (Illinois) State’s Attorney’s Office
- Lincolnwood (Illinois) Public Library
Others have continued on to top graduate programs in fine arts, law, American literature, political science, gender studies, and journalism.
- University of Texas at Austin — Ph.D. program in English
- Columbia College Chicago — MFA program in Film
- University of Kent (England) — Ph.D. program in English
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago — MFA program in Creative Writing
- University of Wisconsin-Madison — MLS program
- Columbia College Chicago — MA program in journalism
- University of Swansea (Wales) — MA program in Gender Studies