Careers in Exercise & Sport Science
Students who choose to major in exercise and sport science develop skills necessary to work in a variety of settings within the health and wellness field.
Possible Career Paths
- Physical education (K-12)
- Adapted physical education (K-12)
- Health education (K-12)
- Community health education
- Personal training and group fitness instruction
- Sport and recreation management
- Strength and conditioning coaching
- Health and wellness coaching
- Competitive and recreational sport coaching
- Exercise physiology (non-clinical)
Students in the EXSS major are given opportunities to pursue internships and work experience during their time in the major. Through the EXSS major, students develop skills such as leadership, teamwork, oral communication, the ability to motivate others, and time management. All of these skills are necessary for successful careers in the health and wellness field.
Outlook for the Field
Overall employment in healthcare occupations is projected to grow 13 percent between 2021 and 2031, much faster than the average for all occupations; this increase is expected to result in about 2 million new jobs over the decade. These workers are expected to gain jobs because an increasing number of people are spending time and money on fitness, and more businesses are recognizing the benefits of health and fitness programs for their employees.
Aging baby boomers, one group that is increasingly becoming concerned with staying healthy and physically fit, will be the main driver of employment growth in fitness workers. An additional factor is the combination of a reduction in the number of physical education programs in schools with parents’ growing concern about childhood obesity. This factor will increase the need for fitness workers to work with children in non-school settings, such as health clubs. Read more about the
Where are EXSS majors working now?
- School districts in Wisconsin and Illinois
- Athletic and health facilities
- Department of Defense
- Milwaukee Fire Department
- Orthopedic Associates
- Athletico Physical Therapy
- Carthage College
- Hospice Care Center
- Abbott Laboratories
What graduate schools have EXSS majors attended after Carthage?
- University of Tampa
- Eastern Tennessee State University
- Elmhurst College
- Kendall College