Carthage offers a minor in game development, as well as a concentration in game development for computer science majors. To earn a bachelor’s degree in game development from Carthage, students must complete the Carthage Core, Distribution Requirements, and the game development concentration requirements listed below.
Majors in computer science are not able to earn a game development minor. Majors in computer science wishing to specialize in game development should pursue the concentration.
NEW IN 2023!
The degree requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Game Development degree will be available in fall 2023.
NEW IN 2023!
The degree requirements for the Bachelor of Science in Game Development degree will be available in fall 2023.
The game development concentration follows the existing computer science major requirements; however, three of four electives are in the game development sequence of CSC 2710, CSC 2720, and CSC 2730. No more than three game development courses may be counted toward a computer science major. A student in the concentration is required to do a capstone related to game development.
Those embarking on the game development minor are encouraged to begin during their first year at Carthage. Practically speaking, the latest a student should begin the minor is the fall semester of their junior year.
Required Courses (24 credits)
- CSC 1810 Principles of Computer Science 1 (4 credits)
- CSC 1820 Principles of Computer Science 2 (4 credits)
- CSC 2710 Game Development 1 (4 credits)
- CSC 2720 Game Development 2 (4 credits)
- CSC 2730 Game Development 3 (4 credits)
And one elective chosen from the following (4 credits)
- CDM 2630 Studies in Media (4 credits)
- CDM 2730 Studies in Media Production (4 credits)
- ART 1070 FOUNDATIONS, SURFACE: Images + Design (4 credits)
- ART 1071 FOUNDATIONS, MATERIAL: Objects + Spaces (4 credits)
- ART 1072 FOUNDATIONS, TIME: Movement + Digital (4 credits)
- ART 2000 Drawing I (4 credits)
- ART 2130 Color Photography (4 credits)
- ART 2750 4D (4 credits)
- ART 3010 Illustration (4 credits)
Students must receive a C or better in each of the computer science courses listed above to move onto the next required course.
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors to ensure all requirements are met.