News from the Geospatial Science Department
Past News Stories
- The Bridge: Kudos
Geospatial Science Department and Facilities Management work together on campus inventory and mapping projectRead “Geospatial Science Department and Facilities Management work together on campus inventory and mapping project”
Applied projects partnered with on-campus “clients” offer valuable hands-on experiences for GIS students while meeting internal needs such as physical asset inventory, mapping, and information sharing in a convenient, efficient, and cost-effective way.
- Academics,Student Achievements,Top StoriesOur graduates always have big plans — many of which were in place well before their commencement. Meet members of the Class of 2022 who were hired for full-time positions before they even graduated.Read “Hired Before Graduation: Carthage graduates share their plans”
- The Bridge: Lectures & PresentationsRead “J-Term Info Session: Biology and Geography of Nicaragua tomorrow”
Come learn about the medical and water projects you can participate in during this study tour to the island of Ometepe, NIcaragua.
- Thanks to our new weather station on the roof of the Science Center, you can see the current temperature, wind speed, humidity, and more.Read “Carthage Weather Station: View the campus weather forecast”
- Multiple geospatial science students presented WSGC-funded research, senior thesis, and class projects at at the Midwest Undergraduate Geography Symposium and on campus at the 2021 Celebration of Scholars event.Read “Geospatial science students present at regional conference and on campus”
- Professors Wenjie Sun, Matt Zorn, and Joy Mast presented their project titled: “Bridging GIS, RS, and Geoscience teaching and research at a liberal arts college” at the annual American Association of Geographers conference.Read “Geospatial science professors present WSGC-funded research at national conference”
- The Geospatial Science Department utilized their small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS or drones) to capture footage of the Carthage shoreline.Read “Geospatial science students capture drone footage of Carthage’s shoreline restoration”
- Two GIS majors from the Geospatial Science Department, Cal McCormick ’22 and Connor Plagge ’21, built a visual dashboard to track and share with the Carthage.Read “Geospatial science students build new visual COVID-19 Dashboard”