Auditions & Scholarships
Admitted students intending to major in music are strongly encouraged to apply for a Carthage Music Theatre Scholarship. Each year, Carthage offers more than $300,000 in renewable music and music theatre scholarships to incoming freshmen and transfer students who demonstrate outstanding potential. Individual scholarships range from $500 to $10,000.
An audition is required for admittance into the music theatre program and for scholarship consideration. All students are asked to first submit an application to the Office of Admissions before scheduling an audition. Students unable to attend the scheduled audition dates may contact the Fine Arts Coordinator at email@example.com about alternate audition dates.
To apply for a scholarship, please review the audition details below then fill out an audition application form. A confirmation email with important details will be sent once the application form is received and processed. Please read and keep this email. Students should add firstname.lastname@example.org to their contacts to ensure they receive all the information.
We recommend that students participating in the February Presidential Scholarships try to schedule their music theatre auditions on a separate date if at all possible.
In the event of a COVID-19 resurgence, masks and social distancing measures will be implemented at the in-person auditions. Details will be communicated via email in either the application confirmation or in a separate message.
MUSIC THEATRE MAJOR or minor IN-PERSON REQUIREMENTS
In-person auditions are preferred, but virtual auditions are available. Please see the Virtual Audition section below.
- Perform two memorized song cuts (solos) of contrasting nature (either style, genre, or tempo), each approximately no more than one minute in length.
- Perform one memorized monologue, no longer than two minutes. Your piece must come from published plays. Do not use your own writing, movies, TV, forensics or speech tournament pieces, or undocumented internet sources.
- Attend a group assembly and jazz class in addition to the main audition. No experience is required for the jazz class, but attendance and participation are required. Please bring clothes you can easily move in to the jazz class. The full audition time will be approximately four hours.
- All students will be placed in Keyboard I, Music Theory I, and Aural Skills I, unless a placement test is requested. To request a placement test, please email the Music Department co-chairs at email@example.com.
Please bring the following items to your audition:
- A resume noting both your musical and academic accomplishments.
- A copy of your music in a three-ring binder with the cuts clearly marked for the accompanist.
- A headshot photograph.
- A change of clothes you can easily move in for the jazz class.
Suggestions for your In-Person Interview and Audition
- Pick pieces that show off your vocal and dramatic abilities. Remember, we don’t want to hear just big and/or loud notes.
- Dress for an audition that is appropriate for your audition material.
- Be yourself and show us who you are!
Where to go for your In-Person Interview and Audition
Auditions are held in the H. F. Johnson Fine Arts Center (JAC). This building is located just south past the chapel. Turn right when you pass the chapel heading south. There is a visitor parking lot to your left. Our building is directly north. There are two sets of doors. Please enter the southwest doors (they have a colorful “JAC” on them) and head straight down the hall to our check-in desk. Our staff will direct you from there to a practice room and the audition room.
MUSIC THEATRE MAJOR or Minor VIRTUAL AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
In-person auditions are recommended for the best scholarship consideration. However, if your circumstances require a virtual audition, please check “virtual” on the application form and we will contact you via email with information and requirements.
Contact Fine Arts at Carthage at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 262-551-5859.