The neuroscience major at Carthage reflects the interdisciplinary focus of the field. Required courses in the areas of biology, psychology, and chemistry provide a solid foundation for understanding the methods and principles of the natural and social sciences.
The major also provides an opportunity for students to choose elective courses in the above areas. Students interested in the molecular and cellular function of the nervous system are encouraged to take electives in biology. Students interested in the behavioral correlates of nervous system function are encouraged to take electives in psychological science. Students interested in the chemical properties of the nervous system are encouraged to take electives in chemistry.
The neuroscience major provides both a breadth of understanding in basic scientific principles and depth of understanding in the emerging area of nervous system research, preparing students for graduate school and career opportunities in a diverse range of scientific research and medical/therapeutic fields.
Practical, hands-on research experience is an important component for understanding the discipline of neuroscience. Majors are encouraged to work in the laboratory of a faculty member for at least two semesters to experience the process of obtaining, analyzing, and interpreting neuroscience data.
The Neuroscience Major
Students majoring in neuroscience must complete the following courses:
Required Courses (36 credits)
- CHM 1010 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM 1020 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
- NEU 2100 Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience (4 credits)
- BIO 1110 Molecules, Cells, and Organisms (4 credits)
- BIO 1120 Organisms, Populations, and Systems (4 credits)
- NEU 2500 Neuroscience Research Methods and Statistical Analysis (4 credits)
- NEU 3950 Neuroscience II: Cellular and Molecular Neuroscience (4 credits)
- NEU 4000 Senior Thesis in Neuroscience (4 credits)
- NEU 4100 Neuroscience III: Neuroanatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
Three Electives (12 credits)
- BIO 2400 Genetics (4 credits)
- BIO 3300 Advanced Human Anatomical Systems (4 credits)
- BIO 3310 Advanced Human Physiological Systems (4 credits)
- BIO 3500 Advanced Cell Biology (4 credits)
- BIO 4310 Developmental Biology (4 credits)
- CHM 2070 Organic Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM 2080 Organic Chemistry II (4 credits)
- CHM 3010 Biochemistry (4 credits)
- CHM 3230 Analytical Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM 3240 Analytical Chemistry II (4 credits)
- CHM 4070 Advanced Organic Chemistry (4 credits)
- PHY 3120 Electronics (4 credits)
- PHY 4300 Electricity and Magnetism (4 credits)
- PYC 2150 Sensation and Perception (4 credits)
- PYC 2300 Cognitive Psychology (4 credits)
- PYC 2850 Child and Adolescent Development (4 credits)
- NEU 4900 Research in Neuroscience (1-4 credits)
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors and the department chair to ensure all requirements are met.