Carthage offers a major in nursing. To earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from Carthage, students must complete the Carthage Core, Distribution Requirements, and the nursing major requirements listed below.
The Carthage BSN program has been carefully crafted to synthesize the program’s philosophy, current nursing education standards, and best practices in nursing education. The curriculum graduates generalist nurses who are prepared in three broad role components: scholar, leader, and clinician.
Students in the BSN program must complete 56 credits in the major, along with 24 credits of required courses that support the major and 50 credits fulfilling Carthage’s degree requirements (for a minimum total of 130 credits). A total of 850 practice hours, including direct patient care, simulation, and laboratory time, is also required.
Required Courses (56 credits)
- NSG 2010 Pathophysiologic Concepts for Nursing Practice (4 credits)
- NSG 2015 Fundamental Core Concepts for Nursing Practice (includes practicum) (3 credits)
- NSG 2016 Advanced Core Concepts for Nursing Practice (includes practicum) (3 credits)
- NSG 3010 Principles of Pharmacotherapeutics in Nursing Practice (4 credits)
- NSG 3012 Nursing Practice I: Improving Adult Health Outcomes (includes practicum) (4 credits)
- NSG 3014 Nursing Practice II: Improving Children’s Health Outcomes (includes practicum) (4 credits)
- NSG 3015 Assuring Quality and Safety in Health Care Settings (4 credits)
- NSG 3020 Nursing Practice III: Improving Mental Health Outcomes (with practicum) (4 credits)
- NSG 3022 Nursing Practice IV: Improving Maternal and Newborn Outcomes (with practicum) (3024)
- NSG 3024 Clinical Scholarship: Applying Evidence to Improve Health Outcomes (Writing Intensive) (4 credits)
- NSG 4020 Nursing Practice V: Improving Health Outcomes of Populations (with practicum) (4 credits)
- NSG 4022 Nursing Practice VI: Improving Health Outcomes in Complex Situations (with practicum) (4 credits)
- NSG 4024 Leading Systems of Care to Improve Health Outcomes (4 credits)
- NSG 4026 Advanced Clinical Synthesis and Capstone (practicum and senior thesis) (4 credits)
Required Support Courses (24 credits)
- BIO 2010 Human Anatomy and Physiology for the Health Professional I (4 credits)
- BIO 2020 Human Anatomy and Physiology for the Health Professional II (4 credits)
- CHM 1010 General Chemistry I (4 credits)
- CHM 1020 General Chemistry II (4 credits)
- PYC 1850 Lifespan Developmental Psychology for the Health Professional (4 credits)
- Sociology elective (SOC 1000 Introduction to Sociology, SOC 2010 Social Problems, or SOC 2020 Cultural Anthropology) (4 credits)
Courses Outside the Major (50 credits)
- COR 1100 Intellectual Foundations
- REL 1000 Understandings of Religion
- Modern languages requirement*
- Humanities elective
- Fine Arts elective
- Mathematics (EXS 2330 Applied Statistics for Health and Human Services or equivalent)
- Global Heritage elective
- EXS 0010 Concepts of Physical Fitness
- Lifetime/Fitness elective
- Electives (16-24 hours, depending on need)
- Two J-Term courses
- Two additional Writing Intensive courses (can be combined with other requirements)
* Students who do not test out of a foreign language are required to take two terms of a modern foreign language. Students should consult with their advisors as to courses that would most appropriately fulfill this requirement.
In order to continue in the Carthage BSN Program, students must meet the following progression requirements:
Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or Better
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better for the duration of their program. A student who falls below the required cumulative GPA will have one term to raise his or her GPA. Students who are unable to raise their cumulative GPA to 2.75 or better may be dismissed from the program. Students who do not raise their GPA to 2.75 the following term may be granted an extension by the faculty IF the student is showing favorable academic progress. All students, however, must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 to graduate from the program.
Grade of “C” or Better in all Courses
All courses must be passed with a grade of “C” or better. A C-minus is not a passing grade in the BSN Program. Students must receive a “pass” for all clinical experiences.
- A student who receives a C- in any course must repeat that course or successfully complete its equivalent when the course is next offered.
- If a student receives a grade lower than C in the didactic portion of a clinical course (NSG 2012, 3012, 3014, 3020, 3022, 4020, 4022, 4026), or if a student receives a “No Pass” for the clinical practicum of the above-mentioned courses, the student will not be able to progress in the program.
- Students who receive a grade lower than C or a “No Pass” for a clinical course will be allowed to repeat the course one time when the course is next offered. For clinical courses, both the didactic and clinical portions must be repeated regardless if the clinical or the didactic were previously passed.
- A student who receives a second non-progressing grade in a clinical course may be dismissed from the program.
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors and the department chair to ensure all requirements are met.