Careers in Physics
Physics is the fundamental science. By achieving proficiency in the problem-solving skills that physics requires, you will be prepared for success in any career that rewards critical thinking and unique solutions to complex problems.
An understanding of physics is excellent preparation for a diverse array of careers, including engineering, medical physics, astronomy, meteorology, and financial modeling. The major requirements are flexible. Each student, with the help of his or her advisor, may select the courses that best suit his or her interests and abilities.
While understanding physics is critical to success in engineering and applied sciences, the world is also full of “hidden physicists” — those whose undergraduate training in physics prepared them for success in a diverse array of careers including finance and science policy, to name just two of the recent “hot fields” for physicists.
In addition to pursuing graduate degrees in physics, recent graduates have pursued a variety of careers after leaving Carthage with physics degrees.
Where are Carthage physics graduates working now?
- Space Systems Loral — Orbit Dynamics Aerospace Engineer
- iPlanRX (Milwaukee, Wis.) — Consultant
- AptarGroup Inc. (Milwaukee, Wis.) — Project Engineer
- SC Johnson — Laboratory Technician
- Rockwell Collins — Systems Engineer
- Rockwell Automation — Product Quality
- Hill-Rom — Senior QA/RA Manager
- Multiple Mirror Telescope — Senior Telescope Operations Specialist
- Epic Healthcare Systems — EDI Interface Analyst
- Dotomi — Client Integration Engineer
- Milwaukee PC — Computer Systems Technician
- Ahern — Controls Project Engineer
- MedPro Imaging — Marketing Manager
- Alstom Transport — Supplier Quality Development Manager
- Marvel Soft — Chief Technical Officer
- American Institute of Physics — Society of Physics Students Program Coordinator
- University of Chicago — Postdoctoral Scholar
- Westosha Central High School — Physics and Calculus Teacher
- Abbott Laboratories
- US Trust — Portfolio Manager Associate
- Kimley-Horn and Associates — Transport Analyst and Civil Engineer
- Schoeneck Containers — Quality Engineer
- Acumium Software (Madison, Wis.) — Web Developer
Where are Carthage physics graduates studying now?
- University of Oregon, Professional Master’s Program in Applied Physics
- Medical College of Wisconsin, Doctor of Medicine Program
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Master’s Program in Nuclear and Chemistry Engineering
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ph.D. Program in Biomedical Sciences
- Purdue University, Master’s and Ph.D. Programs in Aerospace Engineering
- University of Iowa, Master’s Program in Geography
- University of Wyoming, Master’s and Ph.D. Programs in Science and Astronomy Education
- University of Nevada at Reno, Ph.D. Program in Physics
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Master’s Program in Economics
- Washington University in St. Louis, Ph.D. Program in Physics
- Research Technician
- Attorney, Technology Specialty
- Science/Technical Writer
- Medical Physicist
- Computer Specialist