Carthage offers a minor in social justice. To earn a degree from Carthage, students must complete the Carthage Core, Distribution Requirements, their major requirements, and the social justice minor requirements listed below.
Social Justice Minor
Required courses (16 credits)
- SWK 1300 Introduction to Social Justice & Social Welfare (4 credits)
- SWK 2400 Human Behavior in the Social Environment (4 credits)
- SWK 2600 Ethics and Leadership in a Multicultural Society (4 credits)
- SWK 3100 Social Welfare Policy Analysis (4 credits)
Students must select two courses (8 credits) from any discipline that includes a focus on social justice. Students will work with the Social Work department chair to receive approval for elective courses that have a focus on social justice.
Possible Electives with a Focus on Social Justice
- SWK 2200 Child Welfare Policy & Practice (4 credits)
- SWK/ WMG 2210 Family Violence (4 credits)
- SWK 2500 Engaging Multicultural Students and Families (4 credits)
- SWK 400T Special Topics in Social Work (4 credits)
- EDU 2340 Foundations in Urban Education (4 credits)
- EDU 4340 Urban and Cultural Leadership (4 credits)
- PYC 3460 Psychology of Women and Gender (4 credits)
- SOC 2530 Race and Racisms (4 credits)
- SOC 2770 Sex, Gender, and Sexuality in a Diverse World (4 credits)
- POL 3620 Environmental Politics (4 credits)
- POL 3450 Global Poverty (4 credits)
- POL 3110 Women’s and Gender Studies Theory (4 credits)
- CDM 2400 Gender Communications (4 credits)
- ENG 3030 Major Texts in Critical Theory (4 credits)
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors to ensure all requirements are met.