Master of Music
At A Glance
The Master of Music (M.M.) in Music Theatre Vocal Pedagogy provides opportunities for creative endeavor, inquiry, and investigation into the field of professional voice use in music theatre style.
- Master of Music (M.M.) in Music Theatre Vocal Pedagogy
This 10-month full-time master’s program will feature seminar courses in vocal pedagogy, application and integration courses in voice performance in music theatre style, and analysis courses that focus on repertoire and rehearsal techniques.
M.M. students will be able to employ a variety of instructional techniques that support efficient and effective voice performance practice. They will develop individual research and creative projects that allow them to engage musically, artistically, and intellectually in the field of music theatre voice performance.
The M.M. in Music Theatre Vocal Pedagogy is designed with you in mind.
- Accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
- Flexible. There are options for full- or part-time study.
- Accelerated. Apply as a member of our intensive 1-year cohort.
- Practical. Applied teaching experience will develop your skills and your resume.
- Interdisciplinary. Just like the field of music theatre, the M.M. program at Carthage creates connections between the study of the voice and other fields of music theatre, giving you maximum professional opportunities.
- Connected. Graduate students will belong to a global network of music theatre vocal pedagogues. All graduate students will be members of Music Theatre Educator’s Alliance International (MTEA). Graduate students can also join the Carthage student chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) and participate in professional development activities and workshops.
- Global. Carthage ranks in the top 5 of all baccalaureate institutions nationwide for student participation in short-term study abroad. Study abroad is part of our graduate programs, as well. Master of Music students will have opportunities to travel with performance study tours to Europe or Asia.
Graduates of the M.M. Program at Carthage will be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness of a broad range of pedagogical concepts, and apply these concepts appropriately in a variety of educational settings.
- Conduct scholarly research in music theatre vocal pedagogy.
- Demonstrate and apply understandings of equity and inclusion within applied voice teaching and the field of music theatre.
- Understand the connections among the sub-disciplines of music theatre, and the impact and intersection with music theatre vocal pedagogy.
- Describe basic information about health and safety within the context of practice, performing, teaching, and listening.
Your Next Steps
Questions? Contact Professor Corinne Ness, Master of Music program director at email@example.com.