Master’s Degree in Sports Management
At a Glance
Learn effective management strategies through the lens of sports. Carthage’s Master of Science in Business — Sports Management track was developed with input from senior executives in professional basketball, hockey, baseball, and esports. Learn from instructors with sports industry expertise, and graduate with skills that align with hiring needs. This 10-month master’s degree program can be completed in person or online and culminates with an intensive 10-day capstone experience in Barcelona, Spain.
* Apply by June 1 to receive a $6,000 Carthage grant. For more information, email John Frese, director of admissions and financial aid, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Graduate assistants are not eligible for this award.
- Master of Science in Business (MSc) — Sports Management
Earn your Master’s degree in Sports management
Build a Career in the Sports Industry
- <div class="text-with-stat__stat"><div class="text-with-stat__stat-inner"><strong class="text-with-stat__stat-number">10</strong><span class="text-with-stat__stat-text"><p> months to your master’s degree</p></span></div></div>
The Sports Management track in Carthage’s growing graduate business program teaches students effective management strategies through the lens of sports. Input from more than 20 senior executives in professional basketball, hockey, baseball, and esports shaped the curriculum, ensuring that graduates’ skills will align with hiring preferences. Besides courses tailored to the sports industry, the master’s program provides core training in the critical area of design and innovation. Students build capacity for emotional intelligence, human-centered design, and cross-functional team management.
Interact with Sports industry leaders
Get outstanding classroom interaction with industry leaders, including:
- Craig Leipold, Owner of the Minnesota Wild
- Peter Feigin, President of the Milwaukee Bucks and Fiserv Forum
- Caron Butler, Former NBA star and current assistant coach of the Miami Heat
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Six-time Olympic medalist
- Daniel Diaz, Director of World Cup, Olympic and Cross-Platform Partnerships at NBCUniversal Media
- Jason Langewell, Executive vice president at Intersport (Rocket Mortgage Classic)
- Mark Pacchini, Board of Directors of the Minnesota Wild; Former President of Foote, Cone & Belding Advertising
- Joe Sweeney, New York Times Best-Selling Author of “Networking Is A Contact Sport”
- Steve Rucks, Senior director of accounting and finance at the United Center
- Derek Sharrer, Executive vice president and general manager of the St. Paul Saints; four-time American Association Executive of the Year
Sports Management Advisory Council
Carthage’s Sports Management Advisory Council provides leadership and guidance for Carthage’s undergraduate and graduate programs in sports management. Members attend regular meetings; make recommendations on aspects of the program and its curriculum; teach classes and/or make presentations; connect Carthage and our students to industry partners; provide experiential learning opportunities for students such as internships; promote Carthage’s programs within their networks; and provide financial assistance including scholarships.
Meet the Sports Management Advisory Council
Sports management Alumni successes
Our alumni can be seen across the country in sports careers like these:
- Membership Services Representative, Washington Commanders
- Corporate Partnerships Account Executive, Minnesota Wild
- Client Service Executive, Chicago White Sox
- Account Executive, Marquette Basketball
- Sales, Dallas Wings
- Account Manager, Sacramento Kings
- Account Executive, Windy City Bulls
- Collegiate Wrestling Coach
- Graduate Assistant Intercollegiate Athletics Administration
Prepare for an exciting career in Sports
The Sports Management program prepares graduates to use effective management strategies, develop skills that top industry leaders suggest to align with hiring preferences, and grasp core business principles like emotional intelligence and cross-functional team management.
Students take core business courses in design thinking and teaming, business metrics, innovative leadership, disruptive innovation. Other courses include Sports Industry Economics and Financial Analysis; Sports Business and Player Analytics; Sports Marketing, Public Relations, and Promotion; and Management and Leadership in Sports.
Beyond the classroom, students participate in key experiential learning components:
- Workshops. Guest instructors with industry expertise lead deep dives into topics like Sports and Recreation Experience Design, Sports Law and Collective Bargaining, Sports Psychology, and Sports HR Management.
- Sales Lab. Gain authentic sales experience during Carthage’s popular January Term, working in tandem with a major sports organization.
Study Abroad. The master’s program culminates with an intensive 10-day capstone experience in Barcelona, Spain.
Students complete projects for top-level sports clients in the region.
Online and in-person classes available
The Master of Science in Business — Sports Management track is designed to fit your busy life. Weekday classes are held from 6 to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, both in-person and online to offer flexibility around work and family commitments.
- August-December: Take 6 foundational courses.
- August-May: Take 8 intensive weekend courses featuring visiting scholars and guest lecturers, including Carthage faculty and other prominent local, regional, national, and international experts.
- January: Participate in an experiential learning project.
- February-April: Take 5 sports management courses.
- May: Travel to Barcelona and complete a capstone project.
Learn more about admission and financial aid
Anyone with a bachelor’s degree, regardless of major, can apply. The 39-credit program can be completed in 10 months. Apply by June 1 to receive a $6,000 Carthage grant.* For more information, email John Frese, director of admissions and financial aid, at email@example.com.
*Graduate assistants are not eligible for this award.
Join us for a virtual information session!
Please click on your preferred date below to register.
For more information about this program, email John Frese at firstname.lastname@example.org.