Carthage’s College Success Seminar is a zero-credit class for first time college students at Carthage. It helps first-year students connect to multiple communities within Carthage that will support and enhance their confidence and success as well as intentionally building their relationships with other students and their first year advisor.
Your first College Success Seminar class will be held on the evening before classes begin. It will set the foundation for your learning in team, leadership, and character development!
The other 10 CSS classes will be held weekly beginning the first full week of classes (see your schedule for details) and your first year advisor will be the instructor.
Goals and Objectives
- To develop active learning skills for college success
- To improve academic skills
- To increase awareness of campus resources
- To effectively use technological resources
- To demonstrate growth in decision making and life skills
- To build a strong relationship with your first year advisor
- Values and Goals
- Group Work and Relationships
- Creating a 4 year Plan and Registering for Classes
- Time Management
- Introductions to Library and Information Services (LIS) and the Writing Center
- Career Services
You will receive a satisfactory (S) or unsatisfactory (U) grade on your Carthage transcript based upon your performance in the following areas:
- Class attendance (Missing more than two classes will result in an unsatisfactory grade)
- Active class participation
- Completion of course assignments including, but not limited to attendance at the Diversity Institute