Lakeside Band Festival
Saturday, Nov. 4, 2023
This year’s Lakeside Band Festival takes place at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 4, in the A. F. Siebert Chapel.
The festival gives young, promising instrumentalists a chance to interact with outstanding musicians from America and abroad. It will be an all-day invaluable time of interaction in which high school students will learn what it’s like to be a collegiate musician from Carthage’s very own. The festival will end in a concert, giving festival goers the chance to play with Carthage’s Wind Orchestra!
The Lakeside Band Festival has brought musical talent from all over the United States, Australia, and the Netherlands. The very first festival featured Larry Combs, who formerly played principal clarinet in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
The goal of the Lakeside Band Festival is to provide an opportunity for area musicians to observe, engage, and interact with world-class musicians. Each festival is conducted by a noted composer/conductor.
Distinguished artists who have participated in past Lakeside Festivals include:
- Larry Combs — principal clarinet, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Woodrow Hodges — bassoon, Carthage College
- Dr. Jay Gilbert — Doane College (guest conductor)
- Dr. Andrew Boysen Jr. — University of New Hampshire (guest conductor)
- Daniel Bukvich — University of Idaho (guest composer)
- Gregory Flint — horn, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- James Barnes — University of Kansas (guest conductor)
- Susan Cook — alto saxophone, DePaul University and Carthage College
- Timothy Mahr — St. Olaf College (guest conductor)
- Scott Tegge — tuba, Carthage College
- Jonathan Newman — BCM (guest conductor)
- Frank Ticheli — University of Southern California (guest conductor)
- Melissa Snoza — flute, Carthage College
- Dana Wilson — Ithaca College (guest conductor)
- Alvin Lowrey — principal trumpet emeritus, Edmonton Symphony Orchestra
- Johan de Meij — Amstel Music (guest conductor)
- Paul von Hoff — trombone, Carthage College
- Ralph Hultgren — Queensland Conservatorium (guest conductor)
- Libby Larsen — American Composers Forum (guest composer/clinician)
- James Stephenson — Stephenson Music (guest conductor)
- Erica Anderson — oboe, Carthage College
- Bill Connor — Macaenas Music (guest conductor)
- New Century Saxophone Quartet
- Andrew Boysen, Jr. — University of New Hampshire (guest conductor/composer)