Visit Career Services early and often during your time at Carthage. This four-year plan will help you identify the right career path, set goals, gain experience through internships, and perfect your job search strategy.
Freshman Year: Self-Assessment
- Discover all of your possibilities through self-assessment, the first step toward choosing your major.
- Work on interest inventories to uncover your interests, values, and marketable skills.
- Meet with Career Services staff for an individual counseling session.
- Get to know your academic advisor.
- Enroll in the J-Term course Career Planning and Preparation.
Sophomore Year: Researching Careers
- Take introductory classes in your field of interest.
- Meet with a department advisor in your field.
- Attend career workshops.
- Read about occupations that interest you.
- Reach out to people currently employed in the career you are considering, and ask them about their jobs. Career Services may be able to connect with alumni in your chosen career.
- Shadow someone in your dream job, so you can observe their daily work routine.
Junior Year: Decision-Making
- Now that you’ve focused on a career path, try it on for size. Seek a summer internship, part-time job, or volunteer opportunity.
- Outline your job search strategy.
- Bring your resume to Career Services for a critique.
- Participate in mock interviews and networking opportunities.
- Use Carthage Career Connection, powered by Purple Briefcase, to find job and internship opportunities.
- Reach out to faculty and inquire about possible internships.
Senior Year: Job Search
- Expand your job search strategy.
- Attend career fairs, workshops, and on-campus recruiting events.
- Write cover letters.
- Send out resumes.
- Network with students, alumni, and decision-makers.
- Apply to graduate programs.
Career Services provides multiple resources for students seeking internships, graduating seniors seeking jobs, and alumni seeking jobs and/or a new career direction. Here are a few important tips to remember:
- Perfect your resume. Don’t underestimate the time it takes to develop a professional-looking resume. Both the content and the format of your resume will create lasting impressions. Have your resume critiqued by Career Services staff.
- Attend workshops. Polish those networking and interview skills by attending workshops offered by Career Services.
- Use Carthage Career Connection. Carthage Career Connection, powered by Purple Briefcase, has the latest job postings, as well as news about upcoming career fairs and on-campus recruiting events.
- Participate in Career Services events. Career Services offers mock interview sessions, career fairs, and on-campus recruiting events, all designed to prepare you and provide access to employment opportunities. Visit the Career Services calendar to see upcoming events.
- Develop a LinkedIn profile. LinkedIn is an online professional networking tool. Recruiters often use the website to search for candidates and view the profiles of applicants. LinkedIn also allows you to stay connected with your professional network, apply for jobs and internships, and research companies and organizations. For more on how to build a LinkedIn profile, please visit LinkedIn for Students.
- Develop a system. Track employment leads and contacts. Make telephone calls to obtain more information. Follow up and be persistent. A typical job search takes six months.