The Management Major
With a strong blend of faculty strength, the opportunities afforded by the Chicago - Milwaukee corridor, a strong student body, and a commitment to the arts and sciences, the Business Administration major at Carthage offers an unequaled experience in discovering economic systems and learning business principles.
Learn more about Management at Carthage
Management Information Systems, Business Law, Organizational Management, Marketing, Financial Management, Accounting, Economics
Course requirements for the Management major
- Critical Thinking
- Ability to Establish Effective Working Relationships
- Appreciation for Multiple Perspectives
- Oral, Written, and Interpersonal Communication Skills
- Problem Solving
- Numerical Computation
- Computer Literacy
- Statistical data analysis
Outlook for Field
Since this is a large field, many openings will occur each year as executives transfer to other positions, start their own businesses, or retire. Experienced managers with strong leadership qualities and the ability to improve the efficiency or competitive position of an organization will have best opportunities. The market for human resources personnel remains competitive.
Nationally business management majors with bachelor’s degrees reported starting salaries of $43,991 in 2010. This major prepares you to enter a variety of positions. Salaries will fluctuate depending upon the position.
Human Resources Assistants’ starting salaries were $25,660. The median salary was $39,250. Customer Service Representatives’ starting salaries averaged $21,560, with top earners for this occupation earning annualized salaries of $56,070. Personnel Recruiters and Headhunters had starting salaries of $26,320 with median salaries of $48,610.
Starting salaries for first line manager of non-retail sales workers were $39,180, with a median salary of $65,820.
Possible Career Paths
Please note that list includes careers requiring differing degrees of education and training.
- Benefits Administrator
- Business Information Analyst
- Credit Manager
- Customer Service
- Distribution Manager
- Facilities Manager
- Financial Analyst
- Human Resources
- Labor Relations
- Market Research
- Quality Control
- Project Manager
- Nonprofit Administrator
Employers of Carthage Graduates in this Major
- AON Insurance – Client Coordinator
- CNH - Analyst
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car – HR Manager
- Jockey International – Treasury Manager
- Baxter – Senior Financial Analyst
- Snap-on Inc. – Branch Manager
- M & I Bank – Loan Officer
- SC Johnson – Associate
- Kranz, Inc. – Credit Collection
- Hospira – Environmental Control Lead
- Modine – Processing Coordinator
- Abbott Laboratories – Manager, Corporate Fleet