Parents and families, welcome to Carthage College Career Services! You play a key role in your student’s success. Research shows that families often have a strong influence on a student’s career decision-making, adjustment to college, and development of self-confidence and autonomy.
Our goal is to provide you with the information and resources you need to help you guide your student in making sound decisions. Encourage your student to take advantage of the services we have to offer.
Career Services is committed to teaching our students necessary career development skills — not just for immediately after graduation, but for a lifetime. We recognize that this requires a partnership between us, the student, educators on campus, the recruiters that we work with, and you.
In order to ensure that students get the most from this partnership, we want to highlight some specific things that you can do to help, as well as some of the things we can do together.
What you can do:
- Read career planning advice.
- Discuss your own career choices and share your experiences with your student.
- Encourage involvement in clubs and organizations, as well as “real world” experiences. Actively listen and provide support.
- Encourage action and exploration.
- Allow your student to make their own choices.
- Be ready for change.
- Try not to be judgmental.
What we can do together:
- Teach students the skills they need to make sound career decisions.
- Encourage students to use our services throughout their college career.
- Provides continual support to them — even as alumni.
Want to help our students?
Many family members and friends work at organizations that offer jobs and internships. We are always looking to build new relationships in order to make more opportunities available to our students and alumni. If you are responsible for this area in your organization and can help, please let us know. If you are not the person responsible for jobs and internships, but can put us in touch with the individuals who are, we would greatly appreciate it. To help, simply contact Career Services at 262-551-5959 or email@example.com.