Strong. Safe. Healthy. Together.
As we move forward in this new era, Carthage remains committed to providing a transformative education for our students, and a safe, healthy environment for the entire Carthage community. See the Carthage COVID-19 Dashboard
• • •
IMPORTANT UPDATE Oct. 9 — Carthage announces the following changes to the 2021 undergraduate J-Term and Spring semester calendars as we continue to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic:
- J-Term 2021 will now be a “May Term,” held April 27-May 19.
- The Spring 2021 semester will begin on Jan. 12.
- Carthage will not have a Spring Break this year.
- Spring 2021 final exams will be April 20-22.
To ensure students and advisors have time to discuss spring course options, we have also adjusted the advising and registration periods. Advising for Spring 2021 has been extended through Friday, Nov. 6. Spring. Registration for Spring 2021 will now begin on Monday, Nov. 9.
• • •
#StaySafeCarthage: At a Glance
Our plan for reopening campus has been developed carefully, after much research and consultation with internal and external experts, as well as local and state public health officials. We have made important modifications to nearly every aspect of campus life. This website provides details on all of those changes. We encourage you to read each section carefully, so you know what to expect and how to contribute to a healthy environment. We understand there is a lot to read on this site! Here are some key takeaways:
- Carthage has modified the undergraduate Fall 2020, J-Term 2021, and Spring 2021 calendars to minimize risk to our community.
- Face coverings are required in all indoor spaces, common areas, and outdoors when physical distancing is not possible.
- Hand sanitizer stations are at every building and office entrance, and at many classroom entrances.
- Campus Drive is closed to vehicle traffic to allow people to spread out when walking.
- Building entrances and hallways are marked for one-way traffic.
- Seating in every classroom and common area has been arranged or marked for physical distancing.
- Dining establishments are offering limited seating, pre-plated food, pre-packaged to-go items, and Grubhub pre-ordering capabilities.
- Digital thermometers, smell tests, and a new online daily symptom monitoring tool are available to students, faculty, and staff.
- On-campus COVID testing is available for students who experience symptoms or have been exposed to someone who tests positive for COVID-19.
- New UV-disinfection systems have been installed in ventilation systems across campus.
- Most services, meetings, and activities are being offered remotely as we continue to follow healthy physical distancing guidelines.
Use the buttons below to learn about modifications to specific aspects of campus life as well as #StaySafeCarthage expectations for all campus activities.
#StaySafeCarthage: Campus Life
While Carthage has returned to in-person instruction and on-campus housing this fall, campus life does look a little different. There have been necessary adjustments to classes, campus facilities, residential life, athletics, campus dining, workspaces, and more. Use the links below to learn more about each area.
#StaySafeCarthage: Community Standards
All of us play an important role in keeping our community healthy. Therefore, all members of the Carthage community, as well as visitors to our campus, are expected to follow new #StaySafeCarthage standards. Everyone will be expected to wear face masks, practice physical distancing, wash hands frequently, participate in efforts to disinfect surfaces, self-monitor for symptoms, and self-isolate in the event of symptoms. Use the links below to learn more about these new guidelines for life on campus.
Download your own #StaySafeCarthage printables
Updates to the Carthage Community
Please note: Because the world’s understanding of COVID-19 continues to evolve, all policies and plans listed on this website are subject to change. Carthage will make sure our community is notified of changes through email, The Bridge, social media, and this website. Updates will also be posted here.
October 9, 2020 — Keeping our community healthy and safe remains our highest priority. Recognizing that the COVID pandemic will likely continue through the winter months, we have modified the undergraduate J-Term and Spring semester calendars. Read about J-Term and Spring semester modifications.
October 8, 2020 — We want to recognize the exceptional amount of students following the #StaySafeCarthage guidelines! We know that this semester has not been easy, and we want to provide some recognition for your efforts. Learn more about #StaySafeCarthage incentives.
September 30, 2020 — Beginning Friday, Oct. 2, Carthage faculty and staff members can to sign up to receive text messages for their Daily Check-in.
September 22, 2020 — There are microfiber cloths and germicide spray in the classrooms for faculty and staff use. Learn were these items can be picked up.
Sept. 18, 2020 — It is extremely important that we all follow the #StaySafeCarthage guidelines, so we can keep each other healthy and continue in-person classes without disruption. Read the letter from the Dean of Students.
September 14, 2020 — Carthage has provided serval tools to help students self-monitor for COVID-19, including the Daily Check-in app, thermometers, and the smell test card. Read the reminder to monitor symptoms daily.
September 11, 2020 — Carthage has designated several small classrooms around campus as quiet places where students can study. Classroom capacity is limited for social distancing. Learn more about Remote Learning Classrooms and available times.
September 4, 2020 — This message is intended to provide answers to questions about what happens if students are not following the #StaySafeCarthage guidelines. Read COVID-19 conduct expectations.
Aug. 31, 2020 — An email has been sent out informing students, faculty, and staff that a member of the Carthage community has tested positive for COVID-19. Safety measures are being taken and a dashboard has been created to list important monitoring variables. Read about the case update and on-going dashboard.
August 31, 2020 — All Carthage services remain available to support students and employees, though the ways in which we work might have changed temporarily due to this crisis. The goal of our work and the energy and values we bring to it will remain steadfastly student-focused and student-first.