Carthage has modified the 2020-21 academic calendar to help minimize risk. The Fall 2020 semester began one week early and finished with a week of remote instruction. The Spring 2021 semester will begin early in mid-January. J-Term will now be held in May.
SPRING CALENDAR CHANGES
On Oct. 9, 2020, Carthage announced the following changes to the 2021 undergraduate J-Term and Spring semester calendars:
- J-Term 2021 will now be a “May Term,” held April 28-May 20.
- The Spring 2021 semester will begin on Jan. 12.
- Carthage will not have a Spring Break this year.
- Spring 2021 final exams will be April 20-22.
- Fall 2020 move-in dates were adjusted to stagger student arrival, reduce crowding, and minimize risk.
- Fall 2020 classes began on Sept. 2 with eight days of remote instruction.
- In-person Fall 2020 classes began Sept. 14.
- There was no fall break.
- For Fall 2020, the last day of in-person classes was Tuesday, Nov. 24.
- All Fall 2020 classes resumed remotely after Thanksgiving Break, Monday, Nov. 30-Friday, Dec. 4.
- Fall 2020 final exams were held remotely Monday, Dec. 7-Wednesday, Dec. 9.
- All January 2021 study tours have been suspended or rescheduled. Read FAQs about J-Term travel
- NEW: J-Term 2021 will now be held in May 2021. Read FAQs about May Term 2021
- NEW: The undergraduate Spring 2021 semester will begin on Jan. 12. Read FAQs about Spring 2021
- NEW: There will be no spring break in 2021. See the Spring 2021 calendar modifications
The new Fall 2020 Undergraduate Calendar
Aug. 17-28, 2020
Early arrival and move-in for all residential life student staff, transition program student leaders, and international students.
Wednesday, Sept. 2
First day of fall semester classes!
First-year residential student arrival continues; first-year commuter student arrival.
Returning residential, off-campus, and commuter students return to campus in groups to complete check-in. Residential students move into their residence halls.
Remote classes. Due to unforeseen circumstances in Kenosha, we will now have remote classes Sept. 2-11.
MONDAY, SEPT. 14
First day of in-person classes!
Oct. 12-Nov. 6
Advising for Spring 2021
Reading Day. There will not be a fall break in Fall 2020
Registration for Spring 2021 begins
Last day of in-person classes for Fall 2020. Residence halls will close for Thanksgiving break and stay closed until Jan. 11. Residential students may request extended stay housing to remain on campus. (Common reasons for extended say include athletics, campus employment, extenuating family circumstances, or international students.)
Classes resume for one week of remote teaching and learning.
Remote final exams.
Residence halls reopen
- 9-11 a.m. — New residential students move-in for spring semester
- 1 p.m. — Returning residential students move-in for spring semester
Spring undergraduate classes begin
Registration for May Term
Feb. 22-March 19
Advising for Fall 2021
Registration for Fall 2021 courses
Last day of spring semester classes
* Note there is no spring break this semester.
Residence halls open at 5 p.m.
May Term classes begin
Last day of May Term classes
Why did the calendar change?
All decisions for the fall and spring semesters were made to provide our students with the best possible education, while taking important steps to protect the health of our entire campus community.
- Having residential students move into halls in waves in Fall 2020 allowed for important social distancing during the move-in process, as well as additional time to reinforce the new health and safety behaviors that will be expected of all community members.
- Ending in-person classes just before Thanksgiving helps Carthage avoid the risk of a large on-campus outbreak triggered by students returning from Thanksgiving break.
- Fall break has been eliminated because outbreaks may also result from long weekends that routinely facilitate four- or five-day absences from campus.
- All calendar changes were made in accordance with the requirements of our institutional accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission.
- The modifications to the Spring 2021 calendar reduce the number of times students and faculty travel away from campus and back, helping to keep our campus community, our families, and our extended communities safer.
- On-campus J-Term courses have an intense, normally transformative, meeting schedule. Our hope is that much more will be known about preventing COVID-19 by late spring, so the rich learning experiences that traditionally happen during a Carthage J-Term are fully possible. This means we will enjoy a “May Term” on campus this year, along with a number of summer study tours.
- In order to ensure students and advisors have time to discuss spring course options, we have extended the advising period and shifted spring registration dates. Advising for the Spring 2021 semester has been extended through Friday, Nov. 6. Registration for Spring 2021 will now begin on Monday, Nov. 9. The Spring 2021 course schedule will be available at the start of the advising period.