As a residential college, Carthage recognizes that living on campus provides some of the most memorable moments of a student’s college experience. Learning occurs both inside and outside the classroom, and residence halls provide opportunities for friendship, leadership, community building, and continued learning.
Room and Hall Assignments
- Returning students should expect to live in the hall and room selected during housing sign-up in April unless they have been notified otherwise. Due to the College’s need to prepare for quarantine spaces, some students’ room assignments did need to be changed.
- New students received their hall, room, and roommate assignments beginning in late June.
- Residential students may only have two people assisting them with move-in to manage physical distancing within each time block and the buildings.
- Please consider bringing a dolly, cart, or wagon to assist you in moving items in and out of the facilities. Carthage does not have these available.
- Campus Drive will be open to one-way southbound only traffic beginning one hour prior to the start of arrival and ending one hour after arrival ends. See campus map.
New Items to Bring
Life in the residence halls will look a little different this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There are some new items to bring with you to campus:
- Face masks. Face masks or appropriate face coverings are required in common areas and when physical distancing is not possible. Reusable face masks are encouraged, but care must be taken to keep face masks clean after possible exposure to the virus. You may need several masks daily. Depending on your laundry habits, that may mean bringing 15-30 face masks with you!
- Cleaning supplies. You will want cleaning supplies for your room, so you can frequently clean and disinfect surfaces. Remember: Students who live in The Tower and the Oaks Village are responsible for cleaning their own bathrooms as well.
- Hand sanitizer. You will see many new hand sanitizer dispensers all over campus, but bring a bottle to keep in your room and a small bottle for your purse or backpack.
- Thermometer. All students will be asked to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19. As fever is often an early symptom, it is suggested that you make this screening part of your morning routine.
#StaySafeCarthage Guidelines: Symptom Monitoring and Cleaning
- All residential students must self-monitor their symptoms daily before leaving their residence hall room.
- Face coverings will be required in residence hall common areas (including kitchenettes, hallways, laundry rooms, lounge spaces, etc.).
- Whenever possible, take the stairs and not the elevator.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available at all entrances.
- Residents are always required to clean their own rooms; that becomes even more important during a pandemic. Frequently clean surfaces such as doorknobs, desktops, light switches, mini-fridge handles, remote controls, and electronics.
- Common areas and bathrooms will be cleaned with increased frequency by EVS staff. Note: Students in The Tower and the Oaks Village remain responsible for cleaning their own bathrooms.
- Residential students will be allowed only one permitted guest per room during approved visitation hours.
- No overnight guests will be permitted.
Quarantine / Isolation Housing Protocols
- Should a residential student test positive for the virus or have a presumptive positive case of COVID-19 (meaning they either exhibit symptoms or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive), that student will be asked to return home or move to an on-campus quarantine/isolation space.
If you have questions about housing, please contact email@example.com.