Physical distancing means keeping 6 feet apart from others. This can help prevent the spread of COVID-19. All Carthaginians are asked to follow physical distancing guidelines whenever possible. Keep 6 feet distance as you pass others in hallways and when selecting your seat in a meeting or class.
Other steps Carthage is taking to allow for physical distancing:
- Move-in for residential students will be staggered over two weekends. See the new fall semester calendar.
- Classrooms, conference rooms, common areas, and dining areas will have reduced seating capacity.
- Signage across campus — such as floor markers and directional arrows — will provide reminders to stay 6 feet apart.
In order to accomplish physical distancing as students walk to and from classes and activities, Campus Drive will close to vehicular traffic between Lentz Hall and the TARC. Only emergency and authorized vehicles will be able to use Campus Drive. Signs will direct traffic. This will allow more room for pedestrians to walk in both directions.
- Vehicles can still enter and exit campus at all entrances.
- All parking lots remain open and accessible.
- Campus Drive will be closed to regular vehicle traffic just south of the Lentz Hall parking lot, and just north of the Campbell Student Union.
- There will be no vehicle access to Campus Drive from the South Upper/Lower Lot.
- The main sidewalk along Campus Drive will be reserved for people walking north.
- Campus Drive will become a walkway, reserved for people walking in both directions.
In order to accomplish physical distancing as our community members enter and exit buildings, the following changes have been made for foot traffic into and inside our facilities. New signs will help all students, faculty, staff, and visitors follow these guidelines.
- Many building doors will become “Entrance Only” or “Exit Only.” These doors will be marked.
- Interior hallways will be divided for specific directional traffic. Floors will be marked with directional arrows.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be placed at entrances to all academic buildings and residence halls.
Capacity Management Tool
To provide the campus community with more ways to practice social distancing, Library and Information Services has launched a new capacity management tool. The online tool will let Carthage community members know how busy various locations on campus are based on WiFi data.
Locations monitored by the new tool include the Campbell Student Union, the A. F. Siebert Chapel, the Semler Health and Fitness Center, Hedberg Library, The Tower Terrace, and The Caf.
There are many offices and departments across campus that provide direct service to students, faculty, staff, and the broader community. The following modifications will be put in place to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19:
- Plexiglass shields will be installed at service counters like the Red Desk, TWC Information Desk, counters in the Caf, the Hedberg Library Help Desk, Student Accounts, Registrar, Health and Counseling Center, and the Center for Faith and Spirituality.
- Hand sanitizer stations will be available at all building entrances.
- All office staff will wear face masks in common areas and when providing service to others.
- Signage on floors and walls will remind people to stay 6 feet apart.