Carthage in Chicago provides Carthage students with the opportunity to spend a semester living, working, and learning in one of the world’s most dynamic cities.
Each student will maintain her/his normal tuition obligation and financial aid package, providing s/he maintains a full load of at least 12 credits (most past participants carried 16 credit loads). Students who secure paid internships will have the added benefit of earning income throughout the semester. Carthage will provide housing, giving students a safe and enjoyable experience during their time in the city.
While Carthage does not guarantee a paid internship for every participant, a number of internships over the previous cohorts have been paid. In some cases, the companies paid the interns directly, and in others, the interns were paid from a special grant that Carthage College had been awarded. Some interns earned as much as $15-$18 per hour.
Carthage is excited to partner with HI-Chicago to provide housing for participants. HI-Chicago will provide the following benefits to students:
- A central location within the Loop, which provides convenient access to internship sites, restaurants, museums, public transportation, and resources from nearby universities;
- Daily complimentary continental breakfast;
- Classrooms located within the HI-Chicago facility;
- 24-hour security and key-card access to floors;
- Social gathering areas and communal kitchens;
- An international clientele which will provide cultural interactions; and
- Ongoing educational and cultural events.
The cost of housing for the semester will be approximately $4,800 for a shared room within a two-bedroom suite. Each suite contains a kitchen, bathroom, common area, and two bedrooms. Wireless internet is provided complimentary. For Fall 2018, housing will be available for participants from approximately September 2-December 22 (when dates are finalized, the participants will be informed).
Participants may indicate a roommate preference, and if no request is made, will be randomly paired with another student in the program. Both roommates must request each other for an assignment to be made. Two pairs of students could also request to form an entire suite. All participants within the suite must be of the same sex.
While a daily continental breakfast is provided, other meals are not provided. However, each suite is equipped with a full kitchen, and there are numerous restaurants located nearby.
- A deposit of $1,200 is due shortly after the time of acceptance. The deposit is refundable until three months before the start of the program.
- The balance of $3,600 is due three months before the start of the program.
- No refunds are available after three months before to the start of the program.
- The fee of $4,800 covers the cost of housing only; participants are responsible for the cost of meals, transportation, and other miscellaneous expenses.
- Checks should be made payable to “Carthage College” and submitted via the Office of Student Accounts.
- Loans are available to assist with the deposit and housing payment. To be eligible for a loan, the student’s account must currently be paid in full. For more information about securing loans, please contact Keith Macdonald in the Office of Financial Aid.
Additional costs may include:
- Approximately $150 for the Ventra U-Pass, which allows students unlimited rides on CTA trains and buses.
- Approximately $150 per course, to cover museum memberships and tickets to performances (in some cases, this fee is in lieu of textbooks).