All full-time undergraduate students between 18 and 22 years of age will be guaranteed a residential space in Carthage housing through the housing sign-up process.

Any student not registered for 12 or more credits is ineligible for housing. All full-time undergraduate students are required to live in Carthage housing and be enrolled in a meal plan until they reach senior class standing. Upon reaching senior standing, students may choose to live off campus or may participate in the housing selection process in order to secure Carthage housing. Senior class standing will be determined according to the number of academic credit hours completed. Students attaining senior standing during the academic year are able to opt to live off-campus the following academic year. Housing contracts are for the entire academic year and cannot be broken; contracts currently in progress must be fulfilled. Residential students are responsible for all of the terms of the housing contract.

Exceptions to this housing policy include:

  • students choosing to commute from their parents’ or legal guardians’ primary address, which has been established for at least a year, within 30 driving miles of Carthage College
  • students who are 23 years of age or older
  • students who are married
  • students with dependent children
  • students with veteran status
  • students who are a ward of the state
  • students who have achieved independent status according to federal financial aid guidelines

Residency Policy Exemption Applications must be completed and approved. Contact the Office of Residential Life at or 262-551-6169, or stop in the Office of Residential Life on the main floor of The Tower to obtain the form.

Exemptions to the residency requirement are not guaranteed and will be examined according to housing capacity needs and documentation provided. All exemptions are made at the sole discretion of the Director of Residential Life. Since the College must meet its financial obligation, the first consideration must be given to ensure capacity occupancy in the residence halls. The Office of Residential Life reserves the right to deny housing to any applicant. These policies apply to all students including prospective students, new students, and returning students.

  • Students are responsible for adhering to Carthage policies and the terms of the housing contract.
  • Students are responsible for the actions of their guests.
  • Students are responsible for all activities and incidents that occur in their rooms. Disciplinary action will be taken in situations where violations of Carthage policy occur.
  • The College reserves the right to make any change in room or roommate assignments at any time.

See the complete list of policies

The residence halls are available for occupancy for returning students the day before the beginning of classes each term. Undergraduates must check out of their rooms at the end of the academic year no later than twenty-four (24) hours of their last exam. Graduating seniors must be out of their room by 5 p.m. on the day of commencement. Residence halls close for Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Students must be out of the halls by 5 p.m. on the last day of classes before the break and may return after noon the day before classes resume. Students remaining on campus for J-Term courses may stay in the residence halls between J-Term and Spring Semester. Students who live off campus during J-Term may return to the residence halls after noon the day before registration for Spring Semester. Students who return to the residence halls prior to the approved early arrival time may be charged a $50 improper check-in fee, plus $25 per night of stay before halls reopen.

In compliance with the Higher Education Re-authorization Act of 2008, the purpose of this policy is to provide the procedures for reporting, investigating, and making emergency notifications regarding any resident students of Carthage College who are believed to be missing.

Any member of the Carthage community, including both employees and students, who is concerned that a member of the Carthage community is missing should contact the Office of Student Life at 262-551-5800 or the Office of Public Safety at 262-551-5911, as soon as it is determined that the individual is missing as defined above.

In emergency situations, the Kenosha Police Department should be contacted immediately by dialing 911 or 262-656-1234.

For purposes of this policy, a student may be considered to be a “missing person” if the person’s absence is contrary to his/her usual pattern of behavior and unusual circumstances may have caused the absence. Such circumstances could include, but not be limited to, a report or suspicion that the missing person may be the victim of foul play, has expressed suicidal thoughts, is drug dependent, is in a life-threatening situation, or has been with persons who may endanger the student’s welfare.

Any report of a missing student will be investigated by appropriate College personnel under the coordination of the Office of Student Life and Office of Public Safety. Further, the College will notify the Kenosha Police Department or other appropriate law enforcement agency no later than 24 hours after the time that such student has been determined to be missing.

Each resident, on or before checking into his/her assigned room has the option of identifying the name and contact number of the individual(s) who are a primary contact to be notified in case of an emergency or in the event that the resident is reported missing. In the event the resident is under the age of 18 and is not emancipated, the College is required to have the primary emergency contact be a custodial parent or guardian. The College will initiate the emergency contact provisions in accordance with each resident’s designation no later than 24 hours after the student has been determined to be missing. missing.

The residence halls are closed during Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, and Spring Break. Students who do not return home must make their own arrangements for housing. If a student does not have anywhere to stay, they must apply to stay on campus via the extended stay form. Students may be required to meet with the Director of Residential Life to discuss housing options during break periods. The Office of Residential Life is not obligated to provide housing to any resident during periods when campus is closed or when a break period is in session.

Read about residence hall procedures

Read about facilities and maintenance