Admitted students intending to minor in dance are encouraged to audition for a Carthage Dance Minor Scholarship. Scholarship awards are $2,500-$5,000 per year and are renewable based on maintaining satisfactory academic progress and Theatre Department service work each semester.
To apply for a scholarship, please sign up for an audition. Auditions will take place on Feb. 2, 9, and 16.
Join our mailing list to receive more information about Carthage’s competitive scholarships.
How to Apply
- Complete a dance scholarship application
- Participate in one of the scheduled scholarship/placement auditions (see dates below).
- Submit a resume, two letters of recommendation, and applicant photo at the scheduled audition.
- Participate in a brief scholarship audition interview during the scheduled audition date.
Awards are contingent upon the applicant’s acceptance as a Carthage student and enrollment as a dance minor in the upcoming academic year. There is not an audition requirement for acceptance as a Dance Minor, though a Scholarship/Placement audition is required for scholarship consideration and for placement in technique courses.
What to Expect and How to Prepare
- The audition will consist of a class that includes a ballet barre, two to three jazz combinations and progressions, a contemporary phrase, and a brief improvisational exercise. Dancers who have tap experience will be invited to participate in a final tap portion.
- Dancers will need to bring ballet slippers, jazz slippers, and tap shoes (optional).
- Dancers should wear solid leotards or fitted T-shirts, as well as fitted dance pants, or black or pink tights that can be rolled off of the feet for the contemporary portion of the audition.
- Hair should be worn neatly out of face and eyes.
- No jewelry or baggy clothes should be worn, and please no chewing gum.
- It is recommended that dancers arrive early to mentally prepare, stretch, and warm up prior to the audition.
Students not participating in the audition/placement process will be placed in a Level I technique classes. Scholarship candidates will receive notification regarding scholarship status in mid- to late-March.
All Theatre Department scholarships complement most other merit-based scholarships up to full tuition value. Total Carthage scholarship awards do not exceed full tuition. Learn more about other scholarships offered by the Carthage Theatre Department.
Additional questions regarding the dance scholarship/placement auditions can be directed to email@example.com or 262-551-5859. For questions about the Dance Minor Program, please contact Stacy Pottinger at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Note: If all deadlines are past, please contact Stacy Pottinger for more information.