Recent trends in education show that teachers are being asked to teach broad, general science classes that often stretch beyond their major field.
In fact, applicants with a single science major may get overlooked in favor of applicants who have some broadfield training. The broadfield science minor, as a supplement to the science major and EA-A education certification, will prepare students to teach science in middle schools and high schools.
Current students: You should follow the official College Catalog from the year you entered Carthage and work with your advisors and the department chair to ensure all requirements are met.
Requirements for the Minor
1. Major in biology, chemistry, or physics.
2. Complete an additional 24 credits from the following list of courses, two from each of the three core areas of science not in their major field:
- CHM 1010 General Chemistry I
- CHM 1020 General Chemistry II
- BIO 1020 Plants and People
- or BIO 1030 Conservation for Educators
- or BIO 2200 Introduction to Ecology
- PHY 2100 Physics I
- PHY 2110 Physics II
- PHY 2200 General Physics I
- PHY 2210 General Physics II
Earth and Space Science
- PHY 1030 Astronomy
- ENV 1000 Introduction to Environmental Science