What can you do with an Environmental Science Major?
The Environmental Science Program prepares students for both graduate study and careers in governmental and non-governmental environmental fields. Some examples of career avenues are:
- Department of Natural Resources of Wisconsin
- Environmental Protection Agency
- United States Geological Survey
- Department of Energy
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- Environmental consultant/analyst
- Sierra Club
- World Wildlife Fund
- World Wildlife Fund
- Science reporting (newspapers, TV, magazines)
- Environmental Education and Outreach
- Graduate School or Law School
Most importantly, the Environmental Science Program guides students toward and beyond the tangible career path, by training them to think critically about the world in which they live.
Environmental Job Listings: Full-time Employment
- American Fisheries Society
- Bradburne, Briller & Johnson — Environmental Consulting Positions.
- Conservation Jobs — jobs in biology or environmental science.
- Ecological Society of America — jobs, grants in Ecology.
- EnviroEducation — job listings, salary ranges.
- Environmental Career Opportunities — jobs listed by specific area of focus.
- Governmental Jobs
- Jobs in Natural Resources
- North American Benthological Society — graduate student positions and job listings.
- Outdoor Action Guide to Outdoor/Environmental Careers — general resource.
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)
- North American Association for Environmental Education (NAAEE)
- Directory of Community Environmental Resources
Information compiled by Carthage Student Debbie Thorn in collaboration with The Kenosha County Agriculture Extension
Internships and Summer Jobs
- Advanced Studies Program — St. Paul’s School, Concord, NH — science teaching internship, field and lab work
- Blue Ocean Society for Marine Conservation
- Center for Great Lakes Studies — UW-Milwaukee
- Environmental Careers Organization
- Hawk Mountain, Kempton, PA — ecology and education
- Institute of Ecosystem Studies, Milbrook NY — ecology
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD — tutoring, lab assistants
- Marinelands, Dolphin Conservation Center — summer animal care and training internships
- McHenry County Conservation District
- Mote Marine Laboratories, Florida — research for undergraduates program
- NASA Research Sites : space biology, life support, ecology
- National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences — student jobs in lab work
- National Zoological Park, Washington DC — zoo research
- Operation Wallacea, Indonesia — biodiversity, forest biology, marine sciences
- Organization of Biological Field Stations — list of stations, many of which have internships and other summer programs
- PM Environmental — a national environmental consulting firm seeking entry level consulting positions
- Physicians for Social Responsibility, Washington DC — activist and educational work on public health and environment
- Point Reyes Bird Observatory, CA — ornithology & field biology
- Racine Zoo
- School for Field Studies — environmental field studies abroad
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center, Chesapeake Bay, MD — research and education
- Student Conservation Association
- The Sierra Club
- Wisconsin DNR