An on-campus job is a great way to earn money, gain valuable work experience, network with staff and faculty, and get to know other students. You can find student workers in nearly every office and department on campus.
Many campus jobs directly connect to a student’s studies. Students are a valued part of the Carthage team, helping the College with events, operations, services, marketing projects, and so much more.
Financial aid awards for either the federal or College Work-Study programs represent an obligation on the part of the College to make available sufficient hours of employment to meet the value of the award. Students are responsible for finding employment, and most positions are interview-based. Positions are not guaranteed.
Work-Study payments come in the form of wages and are subject to both state and federal income taxes. Paychecks are deposited directly into a student’s bank account. Earnings from such employment can be applied only to a student’s tuition account as the wages are actually earned. Consequently, these awards are not considered a direct award of financial aid to a student. If a student wishes to use these earnings for payment of tuition and fees on a month-to-month basis, the use of a payment plan is required.
Students who are not eligible for Work-Study can apply for campus employment. Wages are subject to both state and federal income taxes, and are deposited directly into a student’s bank account.
Jobs on Campus
Student employment positions are posted on Career Service’s job search tool Carthage Career Connection.
Search Tips for Carthage Career Connection
Select “Tile View” from the menu. From the tile dashboard, select the “Job” tile. This will bring you to the search screen where you can enter the following search parameters under the “Advanced Search” function:
- Company – Carthage
- Job Type – Work Study (not the Federal Work Study checkbox (Both federal work study and campus employment positions will be included when you select work study in the job type.)
Look through the available jobs, and apply as directed in the posting.
For Campus Employers:
All positions must be in the Career Service’s online job search engine, Carthage Career Connection. To submit a position, complete the form below. Your request will automatically be submitted to the Career Services Office and they will enter your posting. Prior to final posting, you and your budget manager will receive a draft for final confirmation. Positions can’t be posted without a budget manager’s approval.
Important Hiring Forms
Once hired, in order for students to be set up in the payroll system, they will need to submit the following forms to the Business Services Office. Students are NOT eligible to start working until these forms have been submitted and the student has been set up in the payroll system. Supervisors will instruct students when they are eligible to start working.
- Form I-9
- Wisconsin Tax Allowance Certificate
- Illinois Tax Allowance Certificate
- Federal Tax Allowance Certificate
- Direct Deposit Forms
- Federal Work Study (FWS) Verification – only necessary for students who received a FWS award. (If you have received a FWS award, print your financial aid award located on the Finances page of My.Carthage.)
- 2017-18 Student Employment Work Authorization
- Summer 2018 Student Employment Authorization
- Summer 2018 Student Wage Matrix
- Summer 2018 Housing
- 2018-19 Student Employment Agreement
- 2018-19 Student Employment Information Sheet