Spring 2020 - ILL Services Unavailable
Interlibrary Loan services are currently suspended because libraries across the country are closed. At this time we prefer that you work with one of our librarians directly to make sure you are fully utilizing Carthage’s resources to find what you need. The fastest available service is through an email to email@example.com. We are glad to work with you to get you the best resources possible.
Welcome to the Carthage College Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service. By logging in below you will be able to request items from libraries across the country, keep track of materials borrowed from those libraries, download copies of articles sent to you, and review the history of items you have already received through the interlibrary loan service.
Contact the Interlibrary Loan Department (ILL)
- Email the ILL Department: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call the ILL Department: 262-551-5770.
- See below for Frequently Asked Questions.
- Forgot Your Password? Click Here.
Click a link from the FAQ list below for information on how to use the Hedberg Library Interlibrary Loan Service:
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Who may use Interlibrary Loan?
- What is ILLiad?
- What about copyright?
- Can I request items from libraries outside the United States?
- Who do I contact with questions or concerns?
How do I Request Items via Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- How do I log in to ILLiad?
- Why do I need to provide contact information?
- How do I request items through the catalog?
- How do I request an item manually?
- Can I request an ebook via ILL?
- Why is my account blocked?
What Happens After I Make an ILL Request?
- Where do I pick up my items and how do I know they’ve arrived?
- How do I retrieve electronic articles from my ILLiad account?
- Why are there papers in my book/DVD/CD case?
- What is my due date and why are the due dates different for the two books I just received?
- My requested item arrived with the label “Library Use Only.” What does that mean?
- How do I renew Interlibrary Loan materials?
- How do I return an Interlibrary Loan item?
- Why does my account say an item is checked out to me? I haven’t picked it up yet.
- My item was recalled. What does that mean?
Interlibrary Loan is available to request materials that are not owned by Hedberg Library from other libraries. There is no charge for loans to Carthage students, faculty, and staff. The average time needed for Interlibrary Loan transaction is 5-12 days. To avoid delays, always check the Carthage Catalog before submitting requests.
- Carthage undergraduate and graduate students.
- Carthage faculty and staff (current and retired).
- Loyola Masters in Social Work students and faculty.
ILLiad is an online system that allows Hedberg Library to provide access to materials held by other libraries throughout the country. Through ILLiad, we provide borrowing and document delivery services and lending services to other libraries.
- You cmay get information about the status of your requests (current and previous) online via ILLiad at any time from any location.
- Your personal information, which you provide during initial registration, is stored within the system. If any of your information changes, you can easily update it simply by logging into ILLiad.
- You can get many of your requests quickly through Electronic Delivery. Our turnaround time for article requests, from the time the request is made until the time you are notified, is typically 2-5 business days. Book requests can take 5-12 days.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research.” If a user makes a request for, and later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. For further information on Hedberg Library’s copyright policy, see the Copyright Information webpage on the LIS website.
Library staff will not make copies of requested interlibrary loan materials for Carthage users. Borrowing items from a library does not transfer ownership of those items, so use of those materials must comply with copyright guidelines. Typically, reproduction of 10% of an item, or one journal article from a journal volume is considered within copyright and fair use guidelines.
Hedberg Library reserves the right to refuse to accept a request if fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
The Carthage College Interlibrary Loan services do not extend outside of the United States.
For questions about the Interlibrary Loan service at Carthage College’s Hedberg Library that cannot be answered from the information on this page, please contact us:
- Email the ILL Department: email@example.com.
- Call the ILL Department: 262-551-5770.
- Contact the Hedberg Library Information Desk at 262-551-5950 or submit a help ticket via our Request Tracker ticketing system at https://help.carthage.edu.
- Contact ILL Supervisor: Kathy Myers, User Services Supervisor, 262-551-5907, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To log in to ILLiad you need to be affiliated with Carthage College and have a Carthage username and password. This is the email and My.Carthage portal login given to you when you become a member of the Carthage Community.
- Your username is your email address without the @carthage.edu. (example: jsmith).
- Your password is your Carthage password which is used for My.Carthage.
- If you need to change your password go to https://password.carthage.edu or contact the Hedberg Library Information Desk at 262-551-5950 during library hours.
- You may also create a Request Tracker ticket for assistance.
The first time you log in to ILLiad you will be propted to fill out your contact information.
- Preferred Article Delivery Method: Articles will be delivered to your ILLiad account as a PDF. Students will pick up all other materials at the Hedberg Library Circulation Desk. Faculty and staff will have materials delivered to their Carthage mailbox in Lentz Hall. We cannot mail Interlibrary Loan materials to students or staff.
- Status: Choose student, faculty, or staff.
- Department: Choose departmental affiliation (For example: Heritage, History, Psychology).
- Search the library catalog for desired item.
- If the item is not available at the Carthage College Hedberg Library you will see this option:
- Click on the button “Request Item through Interlibrary Loan” and it will take you the Interlibrary Loan login page.
- Please review your request before submitting it. Make sure the author is listed and if you are requesting an article please copy the ISSN number (which is listed at the bottom of the page in the Carthage Catalog) into the form.
- Log into your ILLiad account at https://carthage.illiad.oclc.org/illiad.
- Click on the type of request you would like to make: “Book” or “Article (CDs & DVDs are requested using the “Book” form).
- Fill out as much information about the item you are requesting as you can. If possible, please refer to the Carthage catalog for the complete record. Including an ISBN or ISSN and the OCLC number make processing a request more efficient.
Libraries do not currently have the technology available to share ebooks with patrons outside of their home libraries.
An ILL account is automatically blocked when previously requested items have not been returned to the library (this status is assigned after an item is seventeen days overdue). There will not be a message from the ILLiad software that notifies ILL staff of the change of an account’s status to “Blocked.” If your account is blocked and you have overdue ILL materials, please return them to the library. If your account is blocked and you believe you have returned your materials please email email@example.com.
You will be notified when an item has arrived in the library via the email address you provide in your ILLiad profile. All requests are available for pick up at the Circulation Desk in the Hedberg Library. Please pick up your materials as soon as possible, so that you will have adequate time to use them.
You will receive an email notification when articles arrive. Log in to ILLiad and select “Electronically Received Articles” to view, download, or print a PDF copy of your article.
The paperwork serves multiple purposes, so we ask that you keep the paperwork with the item:
- Hedberg Library ILL staff process the item using the identification number located on the paperwork.
- The lending library tracks the item using the identification number on the paperwork.
- Contact information for the library loaning the item to Carthage is located on the paperwork.
Lending periods are determined by the lending library, not Hedberg Library. They usually range from 2 weeks up to 8 weeks. You can use ILLiad to review when your items are due by going to the “Checked Out Items” section. This will give you the due date for each item that you have checked out.
Library Use Only means that the book may be used only at the library and may not be taken home with the patron. Most textbooks and other rare or fragile books are usually lent as Library Use Only.
- Login to https://carthage.illiad.oclc.org/illiad.
- Go to “Checked Out Items.”
- Click on the transaction number of the item you want to renew.
Click on ‘Renew Request’ above the checked out item list. This option is only available before the due date has passed.
If you want to renew a book after the due date has passed please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and our staff will assist you with renewing or reordering the item.
Please return all Interlibrary Loan items to the Hedberg Library Circulation Desk or mail it to the library at the address below:
Hedberg Library Interlibrary Loan
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140
Once an item leaves our office, it is checked out to the patron who requested it. We will hold the items at the Circulation Desk and you may ask for the item there. It is up to the requester to pick up the items as soon as possible to maximize their given checkout period.
The lending library has requested that the material be returned. A recall from the lending library negates any amount of time left on your loan and the item should be returned to Hedberg Library as soon as possible. Once the item is returned, we can then try to request a second copy for you from a different lending library.