This page is designed to help you get and stay connected while you are at Carthage. It provides information on:
- What Devices to Bring (and what NOT to bring)
- Connecting Your Device to the Network and Internet
- Registering Your Devices
- Guest Wifi Access
- Software and Hardware
- Help and Support for Your Devices
What Devices to Bring (and what NOT to bring)
Carthage recommends that every student have their own laptop computer. This will allow you to access your course resources, do research online, take notes in class, write papers, create and give presentations, communicate electronically with classmates, family and friends, and much more. It is up to you whether you select a Mac or Windows computer. You may want to contact some of the faculty in the department in which you intend to major to find out if there will be a preference in your courses.
A college campus is different from a home environment when it comes to technology. There are a lot more people with a lot more devices in close proximity. In order to make technology work for as many people and as many devices as possible, Carthage has established some rules and guidance that help everyone have a better experience using the network.
- Equipment you should NOT bring to campus include:
- Routers of any kind (wireless or wired) are expressly prohibited and violate the Carthage Community Code
- Hubs and switches will also not work in residence halls and should not be brought to campus
- Printers with wifi capabilities interfere with our campus network, so do not bring a wireless printer unless the wifi signal can be disabled and you can connect to it with a cord. They WILL NOT WORK WITH WIFI.
- Equipment that is welcome and often brought to campus by students includes:
- Laptop and desktop computers with wired or wireless connection
- Tablets and hybrids such as iPad, Nexus, Kindle Fire, Surface, Chromebook
- Smartphones, whether IOS (iPhone), Android, or Windows based
- Gaming consoles or devices
- TV-related devices such as Roku, Chromecast, Fire TV, Apple TV
Chromebooks, iPads, and Surface tablets
Library and Information Services strongly recommend that students come to campus with a laptop that runs either a Mac or Windows operating system. Chromebooks, Surface tablets, or iPads that run Android or iOS are typically unable to install programs or software required by the professor’s choice of textbook or other course-related software. If you want to utilize one of the above machines, a Surface PRO or Surface BOOK will run a full-featured operating system, therefore allowing software downloads of programs we frequently see on campus.
Connecting Your Device to the Network and Internet
Carthage provides wifi coverage to residence halls and most other campus locations. Wired ethernet connections are also provided in each room.
Connecting using wireless (wifi)
To connect using wifi, look for the wireless network (SSID) Carthage-Open or Carthage-Secure. Both are safe and operate at the same speeds; Carthage-Secure offers an added layer of encryption, but isn’t always compatible with every device, so use whichever one works for you. There are no passwords for our network; however, once your device connects to the selected wireless network, it must be registered in order to work. Instructions for device registration are shown below.
Connecting through a wired connection (ethernet)
If you want a faster, more reliable connection, or if your device does not support wifi, there is one active ethernet jack in each residence hall room. Please look for the yellow jack or the one in the upper left-hand corner of your wall plate, depending on the location. Please provide your own ethernet cable as well as a USB to ethernet adapter if needed.
Registering Your Devices
When you arrive on campus each of your devices needs to be registered to connect to the Carthage network and the internet. How you register your device will depend on whether the device has a browser. In order to register, you must know your Carthage username and password. If you forgot your password, go to the Password Manager to reset it.
Registering devices WITH browsers
If your device has a built-in browser, first connect to wifi or a wired connection, then open your browser to any web address. You should be immediately sent to the registration page. Check the box to accept the “Acceptable Use Policy,” and then enter your Carthage username and password. Registrations are valid for 120 days. Once you have registered your device, you can use the internet on campus.
Registering devices WITHOUT browsers
If your device does not have a browser, you will need to register it manually using another computer or device that already has network access. If you are trying to connect a Chromecast please consult this guide. If you are still having trouble, please send an email to email@example.com.
- Follow these steps:
- Visit the Carthage Network Access form (connect.carthage.edu)
- Read the “Acceptable Use Policy” and click the box next to “I accept the terms.”
- Log in with your Carthage username and password
- Click “Log in.”
- On the next screen you will need to supply your MAC address and your device type. The MAC address needs to be entered in the following format: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX. (Find the MAC address for your device)
- Select your device type from the dropdown menu. If you do not see the appropriate device type choose “Other.”
- Click “Register.” Registrations are valid for 120 days.
- Restart the device you just registered.
- You may check the status of your device registration here.
Guest Wifi Access
Sodexo, Security, Barnes & Noble
Employees that work on the Carthage campus but aren’t employed by the College may access the wifi network using Guest Access. If an employee of one of the above departments would like access to the wifi on a more permanent basis, they may request that through their supervisor. The employee’s supervisor should then contact Human Resources to talk about provisioning contract employees as Carthage employees.
Camp and Conference Guests
People visiting the Carthage campus for a fixed amount of time may connect to the wifi network using Guest Access. Users may request further services during a camp or conference (wifi or printing access) via Kevin Slonac, the Director of Conferences and Manager of the TARC (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Users without an @carthage.edu email address: You must sign in to the campus wifi as a guest user. Open a browser and follow the directions on the form to request guest wifi access on your personal device on campus. Consult this page for further information on connecting as a guest.
Please contact the Hedberg Library Information Desk (262-551-5950 or email email@example.com) if you need assistance.
Software and Hardware
Carthage recommends that every student use MS Office on their computer, and we require the use of anti-virus on any computer connected to the campus network. Other hardware and software may be useful for the courses you take. We provide some software at no cost, and there are sometimes educational discounts on software and hardware.
Carthage has no specifically recommended brands or re-sellers, but discounts may be available through these links or vendors:
- Apple Higher Education Store
- CDWG (CALL 800.808.4239 and tell them you are a Carthage student)
Help and Support for Your Devices
- The Hedberg Library Information Desk will help with the following computer-related issues:
- Connecting to the network or internet
- Virus issues and our standard anti-virus software
- Installation of our printer drivers and troubleshooting problems printing to or from our devices
We can recommend local repair providers for hardware related issues, but we do not diagnose hardware issues or perform hardware repairs.
Contact the Hedberg Library Information Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 262-551-5950.