What to Bring
Before you start packing, here’s a list of what you should bring to campus. Use this list as a guide for you and your roommate.
We encourage you to contact your roommate to avoid bringing multiple large items, such as couches and chairs. In traditional halls, only one refrigerator and only one microwave are allowed for every two residents.
- Single bed frame
- Extra long twin mattress (80” x 36”)
- Desk chair
- Small rolling storage unit
All Carthage furniture must remain in the room. Because the furniture in every hall enables you to bunk your bed, construction and homemade lofts are not allowed. You are permitted to use bed risers as long as they are no higher than 6 inches.
- Bedsheets and comforter
- Can opener
- Cleaning supplies
- Coffee maker (automatic shut-off or K-cup machines only; cannot have an exposed hot plate)
- Computer/laptop — The Carthage Library and Information Services team recommends a laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor, at least 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD (solid-state drive). Microsoft Office 365 and Symantec antivirus are provided to students at no charge, so you do not need to purchase these separately.
- Dishes, cups, utensils
- Face masks
- Gloves for cleaning
- Hand sanitizer
- Health insurance card
- Laundry basket/detergent
- Lights/lamps (no halogen)
- Mattress pad
- Medical thermometer
- Message board for your door
- Microwave (must not exceed 800 watts)
- Phone charger
- Posters and pictures
- Quarters (or credit) for laundry machines
- Refrigerator (must not exceed 5 cubic feet; only one allowed per room)
- Sanitizing wipes
- Screwdriver and rubber mallet (tools needed to adjust bed height)
- Surge protectors
- Throw rug
- Travel-size sewing kit
- Shower shoes/tote
Please note: Appliances brought to campus must be UL-approved. This can be verified on the tag attached to the appliance. Appliances that would be used in the kitchen can ONLY be utilized in a kitchen facility on campus. They are not to be utilized in residence hall rooms, though they can be stored in residence hall rooms.
Carthage does not allow:
- Candles (candle warmers are allowed in the residence halls)
- Christmas lights
- Toaster ovens
- Halogen lamps
- Cooking appliances other than those on the approved appliance list
- Empty alcohol bottles or other containers
- Extension cords
- Traffic signs that were not legitimately purchased
- Animals (Fish are the ONLY pets permitted in the residence halls; 15 gallon fish tanks or smaller)
- Hoverboards, segways, and motorized scooters and bicycles
- Nerf guns, BB guns, weapons of any kind (see weapons policy)
- WiFi router
A quick note on printers: Our Library and Information Services team recommends that you do NOT bring a printer to campus. WiFi printers will not work in the residence halls, and there are ample printers on campus for student use. Students receive $80 printing credit each, allowing up to 2,666 double-sided pages per year. If you feel you need a printer in your residence hall room, make sure the printer’s WiFi signal can be disabled and that you can connect to the printer with a USB cable.