Submit your FAFSA now
How to submit your 2018-2019 FAFSA
In case you haven’t heard, the government has taken several steps to try to make the FAFSA process easier. Here’s how:
- You don’t have to wait for your parents to complete their 2017 taxes to fill out the FAFSA. The tax information that you need to provide is now from the “prior–prior” year. What this means is that for the 2018-2019 year, you will use 2016 tax information.
- You can pull tax information from the IRS directly and securely into your FAFSA by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool that’s embedded in the student tax section and in the parents’ tax section of your FAFSA. No worries and no errors!
- The FAFSA is now available on Oct. 1 each year! Don’t wait til January or later to submit it. Submitting a FAFSA earlier means you can be awarded sooner rather than later, and it allows you to potentially be eligible for state aid (if you also meet the state’s other requirements).
- Be sure to check the Finances page of your Carthage portal at my.carthage.edu often until your awarding is all done to see if additional paperwork is needed to process your financial aid. (“View Financial Aid Documents” and “View Financial Aid Awards”)
- Remember: be proactive about your financial aid. Take stress off by learning what needs to be done and doing it.
- Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid Planning at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We’re here to help!