Applications are no longer being accepted for this position. For current opportunities, please visit www.carthage.edu/careers
* * *
Library and Information Services at Carthage College seeks a Systems Administrator. As a member of the integrated network, infrastructure, and operations team, the Systems Administrator oversees the ongoing operations and maintenance of the College’s server environment to maximize speed, availability, and security. The Systems Administrator frequently monitors and analyzes server usage statistics to confirm the environment is operating properly and securely. This position also develops long-term capacity plans concerning storage, computer, and other IT resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and maintain server environment, including Windows and Linux operating systems, to maximize speed, availability, and security
- Install, upgrade and configure system software that supports the College’s infrastructure and applications per project or operational needs
- Perform general database administration (SQL Server, Informix)
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions
- Adhere to security policies to ensure necessary compliance
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization
- Assist with campus network and telecommunications operations
- Assist with Tier 3 support for end user computing and MFPs
- Assist with disaster recovery/business continuity planning
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience, and Licensure
- Requires education generally equivalent to an Associate’s Degree in Information Technology, Business, or other relevant disciplines. It is desirable for the employee to be CompTIA Server+ and MCP certified
- Requires 3 to 5 years of server and systems operations experience
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with employees, students, and faculty members
- Requires the ability to use a personal computer and Web browser, helpdesk ticketing, and network troubleshooting software
- Working knowledge and a firm understanding of Active Directory and related technologies (Group Policy, WSUS, DHCP, DNS, etc.)
- Working knowledge and a firm understanding of VMware ESXi and other virtualization technologies
- Working knowledge of Windows scripting languages
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP and LAN technologies
- Working knowledge of storage protocols
How To Apply
Application materials should include a cover letter, resume/CV, and three reference contacts. Please submit all materials through the “Resume Upload” section.
Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled; however, priority will be given to complete applications received by Dec. 31, 2017.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability or status as an individual with a disability.