Staff Spotlight: Max McGrath
The January Staff Spotlight is on Carthage’s Infrastructure and Security Manager, Max McGrath. Max has been in the Library and Information Services (LIS) Department for 13 years and is known for his dedication and strong work ethic. He has a reputation for checking in on the network system even when he is off the clock!
LIS colleague, Carol Sabbar, had this to say about Max, “Max is so deserving of this attention. He is someone who normally shies away from the spotlight and attention, but he very much deserves it. In the network world — especially network security — Max is a rock star. He actually helps write the test questions for the CompTIA international certification for Network+. He is so sharp and quick and practical in his analysis and decision-making. Carthage is very fortunate to have him. Many other places have tried to steal Max from us, and we are grateful for his dedication to the community and to overcoming technology challenges for the betterment of us all.”
Get to know Max even more:
What are some things you personally like?
- “Racquetball, water skiing, snowboarding! I suppose I should also mention my wife and kids…”
What don’t you like?
- “Mornings. I also don’t like coffee, so it’s best to avoid me between 6 and 9 a.m.”
How long have you worked at Carthage?
- “13 years, 4 months, 12 days”
What is your favorite TV show, movie, or book?
What is your favorite place on Earth?
- “Our family cottage up north or Boulder, CO.”
What do you like most about working at Carthage?
- “The people in my department. I feel like I see them more than my family so it’s good that we get along. Also, Seattle’s Best has phenomenal salted caramel hot chocolate!”
What would people never guess you do in your role?
- “I sit and look through system generated event logs a lot. It’s too exciting to describe.”
Before working here, what was the most unusual or interesting job you’ve ever had?
- “I worked as a projectionist at a movie theater when I was a teenager. I would splice the movies together and would get to watch them the night before their release date!”
If you have a bucket list, what’s the top item on it?
- “I’ve done quite a bit on my bucket list, but I still need to swim with dolphins and make it to Hawaii.”
Anything else you think people should know about you?
- “I’m always trying to find who has the best sweets on campus. If you see me around and you have an extra cookie (or cake, brownie, etc.) — let me know!”
Thank you, Max, for all you do for Carthage and our students!
Nominate Our Next Spotlighted Employee
Do you want to see someone you know at Carthage featured in our next employee spotlight? Nominate them today at email@example.com.