Applications are no longer being accepted for this position. For current opportunities, please visit www.carthage.edu/careers
* * *
Join the team of Carthage College groundskeepers and enjoy the great outdoors on our beautiful lakefront campus!
Our team of groundskeepers successfully maintains the College landscaping and grounds, completes minor repairs to grounds equipment, and completes a variety of other tasks to maintain a safe and attractive environment. Grounds personnel must be available for flexible hours, including early morning and/or late night, weekend hours, when snow and ice are in the forecast, and other times as required to meet the goals and the mission of the College.
A typical day includes the following duties:
- Inspects and beautifies the College grounds on a routine basis
- Mows and trims grass with power mowers and other power tools
- Weeds flower beds, areas with shrubs and trees, and as directed
- Removes dead branches, prunes, and maintains trees. Checks trees for damage, pests, or diseases.
- Performs routine maintenance and upkeep on all grounds equipment and tools
- Removes snow and ice using power snowblowers, ice melting chemicals, truck mounted plows, shovels, ice scrapers, and other equipment
- Assists with removal and disposal of trash and debris
- Rakes leaves and grass
- Moves furniture and sets up offices and other academic spaces as directed
- Maintains streets on campus and immediate vicinity
- Maintains parking lots and athletic fields
Experience and skills requirements
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent GED
- Minimum three years of experience in the care and maintenance of similar facilities is preferred
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the physical plant and to work collaboratively with skilled and unskilled personnel
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and demonstrate ability to express ideas effectively and concisely
- Must demonstrate compliance with all required safety policies and procedures
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing mission of the College
- Must possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license
- Must be able to lift up to 100 pounds
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability or status as an individual with a disability.