Skip to main content


Wisconsin voters: Register to vote, find your polling place, and get a voter ID before the Presidential Primary on April 7

  • Vote button


Samantha Ornig

February 16, 2020

The Wisconsin Spring Election and Presidential Primary will be held on Tuesday, April 7. 

To find out if you’re registered, see who will be on the ballot, find your polling place, or request an absentee ballot, visit

Carthage residential students: If you’re not registered to vote in Wisconsin but would like to be, visit to register with your campus address. The deadline to register online is Wednesday, March 18!

Voter registration and proof of residence

Wisconsin voters must provide proof of residence to register to vote. A student’s proof of enrollment at their institution serves as proof of residence for registration. Students can access their proof of enrollment by following these steps:

  • Log into your My.Carthage portal
  • Click on the “Finances Tab”
  • On the left menu, select “My Account Information”
  • Select “Course and Fee Statement”
  • From the drop-down menu, select the current semester (this should default)
  • Select “Generate My Course and Fee Statement”
  • Click on the PDF to view and print your fee statement
  • Bring your fee statement to the polling station with your voter ID

Once you register to vote in Wisconsin, you will be registered for all upcoming elections, including the Presidential Election on Tuesday, Nov. 3.

Out-of-state students: Once you register to vote in Wisconsin, you will not be eligible to vote in your home state in future elections unless you re-register in that state. Students who prefer to vote in their home elections can do so via absentee ballot.
Learn more about requesting absentee ballots

Voter IDs

Carthage student IDs will not suffice as valid photo identification for voting.

Students who do not have a valid Wisconsin driver license or state ID can obtain a voter ID card in the Division of Student Affairs in the Todd Wehr Center during normal business hours (8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday).

Other acceptable forms of ID include:

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued ID card or driver license receipt
  • A Military ID card issued by the U.S. Uniformed Services (including retired and dependent uniformed service IDs)
  • A U.S. passport book or card

For more information on the upcoming elections and how to vote, visit our Election Information page.