Associate Dean of Students for Advising and Student Success
Applications are no longer being accepted for this position. For current opportunities, please visit www.carthage.edu/careers
* * *
Carthage College’s Office of Student Life seeks qualified applicants for the position of Associate Dean of Students for Advising and Student Success. This position will work with the Associate Vice President for Student Life to coordinate initiatives and programs that facilitate a successful transition to the College, and create strategies and campaigns to measure and address the following: 1) issues related to attrition, 2) improvement of overall student satisfaction and retention rates, 3) assessments and in-depth analysis.
The Office of Student Life at Carthage College enjoys an interactive and collaborative relationship with faculty members and other College staff. The Associate Dean of Students for Advising and Student Success is expected to work closely with other College personnel to address the social, developmental, and academic needs of our students. This position at Carthage is expected to play a major role in the Student Affairs operation of the institution.
The Associate Dean of Students for Advising and Student Success is responsible for developing and maintaining a comprehensive campus program that encourages students to combine co-curricular experiences with the liberal arts curriculum to enhance their educational and developmental goals. Job responsibilities for the position include:
- Supervise and provide direction for First Year Advising staff, the Center for Student Success, and the Learning Specialist.
- Collaborate with and develop a strong relationship with the Director of the Writing Center and the Tutoring/Supplementary Instruction coordinator.
- Ensure related procedures and practices are in compliance with system, state, and federal guidelines.
- Conduct appropriate assessments and compile data for monthly and annual reports.
- Plan, develop, and achieve goals to enhance student success in accordance with college and department goals.
- Develop, recommend, and manage budgets for programs.
- Meet with students on academic suspension or probation and create a performance and agreement contract to improve students’ success.
- Provide information about programs and procedures to faculty, staff, and students through outreach programs, in-service training, educational materials, presentations, promotional, and assessment activities.
- Work with faculty to coordinate and address extended absence situations and student concerns.
- Perform other duties assigned.
The Associate Dean of Students for Advising and Student Success is a full-time, 12-month position that reports to the Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students. Salary is commensurate with applicant’s experience, a comprehensive health plan, paid vacation and participation in a generous retirement plan.
Minimum qualifications include a Master’s degree and relevant experience. Three to five years of progressive experience in an appropriate field is strongly preferred.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,500 full-time students, and 900 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners, and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Applicants must submit a letter of application, a resume and the names of three references to:
Associate Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students
2001 Alford Park Drive
Kenosha, WI 53140-1994
Review of applications will begin immediately with the priority deadline of August 1. The anticipated start date is August 18, 2014.
Carthage College values the diversity of its community and encourages applications from under-represented groups.