Step into a world of dance in ‘Away From the Mirror’ TODAY and tomorrow
The Carthage Theatre Department invites you to attend its annual dance concert, “Away from the Mirror,” with artistic direction by Kristina Saldarelli, adjunct faculty of theatre, and choreography by Carthage students. The concert premieres at 7:30 p.m. Friday, March 5 and Saturday, March 6, in the Wartburg Theatre. This theatre production is open to Carthage students, faculty, and staff only. Tickets are required and must be obtained in advance.
“Away From the Mirror” provides Carthage’s emerging artists opportunities to develop their inspirations through dance, to share in the development of their own production, and to engage in community discourse. The program will feature new dance works developed by dance minors in a less produced revelation of the dance-making process. At the beginning of each new school year, dance minors are invited to share their ideas for new dance works, the most promising of which are selected for inclusion in the annual “Away From the Mirror” performance.
Throughout the fall semester, students then work both individually and with faculty members to develop and hone their choreographic processes, and in the spring semester, they audition a cast for their work. Student choreographers then teach dancers their new pieces, while undergoing a stringent review process by an advisory committee of faculty and students. Students are encouraged throughout the process to step ‘away from the mirror,’ turning their focus away from the outward appearance of their work and the common ‘standards’ of dance, and instead onto the intrinsic values and resonances of their movement. The result is a beautiful exploration of what it means to be a dancer today, what it takes to bring new dance work to life, and what drives us to dance in the first place.
Events are subject to change. For more information, please contact the Fine Arts Box Office at 262-551-6661 from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. Stay connected by following us on Facebook and Instagram, signing up for our monthly E-Newsletter, or visiting us online at www.carthage.edu/fine-arts.
New ticket procedures for Carthage students, faculty, and staff:
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Carthage Fine Arts events are currently closed to external guests. We have also changed how Carthage students, faculty, and staff obtain tickets. All spring events remain free, but tickets are now required in advance.
- For the spring 2021 semester, it is encouraged to obtain your tickets online 24/7 at the private link: www.carthage.edu/tickets with your Carthage credentials. Online ticket fees have been waived for spring 2021.
- Tickets are also available at the Fine Arts Box Office from noon to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, in the Straz Center.
- At events, there will be no walk-up ticket option, will call, or cash sales. Please use the online link to get tickets.
- Masks are required to enter the building. If you arrive without a mask, you can purchase one for $5 via credit card before you enter the building.
- Seating is reserved to ensure social distancing. Seating is limited. Patrons with special needs should notify the Box Office when getting tickets so the proper arrangements can be made.
- There is no intermission or late seating for this event. Please give yourself plenty of time to get to your seat, and we will ask everyone to go to their seats immediately when they arrive.
- For more information on event protocols, please visit our website www.carthage.edu/fine-arts
SPONSORING DEPARTMENT, OFFICE, OR ORGANIZATION: