Office of Equity and Inclusion successfully launches Carthage’s 75 Years of Black Excellence celebration
From early February to mid April, our office:
- Hosted two separate one-hour Java & Justice interviews with Carthage Black Alumni Network members Veronica Moore ’05 and Dominique Pritchett ’07
- Organized several Black History Month events inspired by the theme of “75 Years of Black Excellence”
- Developed “Black at Carthage” — a networking group of current students, faculty, staff, and alumni who gathered weekly throughout the spring to connect and forge networking relationships
- Created and delivered the first ever “Black Graduates Ceremony” program for our graduating seniors
- Included the celebration in the college’s #redandready Giving Day. Our initiative raised more than $5,000
- Successfully secured a local restaurant (The Apis) for our 75 Years of Black Excellence Recognition Dinner and Celebration to take place during Homecoming weekend
- Worked with the Office of Marketing and Communications to launch the 75 Years of Black Excellence web page
Over the summer, our office will plan a full slate of activities and events for the fall to support this initiative, including activities during Homecoming weekend.
We are so grateful for the great support our office has received from a team of Black Alumni and current students, faculty, and staff who agreed to dedicate time, energy, and enthusiasm to form our 75 Years of Black Excellence committee — a committee designed to center black voices and help us move ideas and our collective vision forward so quickly and effectively.
The folks who served in the capacity this spring include Jamin McGinnis ’06, Veronica Moore ’05, Dominique Pritchett ’07, Shebaniah Judah Muhammad ’98, Marcus Knight ’05, Asmau Diallo ’21, Professor Michele Hancock, and Cicely Hunter, assistant director of equity and inclusion.
We owe them an enormous amount of gratitude for their efforts.
SPONSORING DEPARTMENT, OFFICE, OR ORGANIZATION:
Office of Equity and Inclusion
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:
Roger Moreano, email@example.com