Laboratory Technician - Fossil Preparator
Laboratory Technician - Fossil Preparator, Short-Term Winter 2021 to Spring 2023
- Preparation of Triceratops bones: use of hand tools (dental picks, brushes), air abrasion unit, air scribes, glues, consolidants, ethanol, and other solvents.
- Jacketing: use of plaster of Paris and fiberglass.
- The laboratory is a public viewing space; be prepared for some sort of public interaction.
- Position includes record keeping of hours and work accomplished.
- Maintain the research lab environment.
All work will take place in the laboratory of the Dinosaur Discovery Museum, 5608 10th Ave., Kenosha, WI 53140.
- BSc or equivalent.
- Experience preparing dinosaur fossils, in a museum setting, preferably from the Hell Creek Formation: mechanical preparation of matrix from bone, consolidation, repair, use of pneumatic tools, and jacketing.
- Knowledge of dinosaur anatomy is beneficial.
- Able to lift 30 lbs.
- 28 hours / week.
- Position is grant funded and therefore limited in duration.
Using the above online portal, interested candidates should submit a single PDF file that includes a cover letter, CV, and the contact information for, or letters from 3 work references.
Questions regarding this position can be directed to Dr. Thomas Carr, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.