10 Full-Time Public Safety Officers
Under direct supervision, performs various duties relating to the health and safety of persons and property at Carthage College. Patrols the College campus at designated areas and times while adhering to established procedures and policies for handling a wide variety of situations. Work hours typically include evenings, weekends, and holiday hours on a scheduled basis.
- Patrols College property at designated times and location on both foot and by vehicle, making periodic inspections of building and grounds. During a patrol; identifies suspicious situations, investigates, and acts to prevent problems.
- Uses patrol time to protect College property and equipment against fire, theft, damage, illegal entry, and/or threats.
- Reports unsafe conditions or practices to appropriate leaders for handling. Follow-up to ensure resolution as requested.
- Responds to medical, fire, and personal emergencies involving visitors or members of the College community; students, faculty, staff, and contract workers.
- Utilize additional resources and/or members of the campus community to make the appropriate decisions when necessary.
- Proactively communicates with Public Safety, College administration, local police departments, and any additional resources and/or members as needed regarding any potential issues and situations.
- Directs traffic and performs event control as needed with the requirements of events and participants while balancing the needs of the College to ensure a safe experience for all.
- Assists and directs campus visitors by providing guidance and general information while maintaining to promote a safe and positive culture for the campus.
- Assists the members of the campus community with lock-out vehicle issues upon request.
- Prepares and submits written reports of activities while providing sufficient detail to allow for sound decision-making by all parties involved and other administrative tasks as directed.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the Public Safety Department with the goal of accomplishing the Department and College’s objectives.
- Attends training, additional education, Public Safety Department meetings, and participates in administrative and judicial hearings as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
A High School Diploma or GED is required. Additional education, particularly in law enforcement or campus security is preferred.
- 3 years of related experience in public or private sector security and/or law enforcement (not required, but preferred).
- Ability to work with a wide range of personalities while maintaining a balance of service and compliance with the College’s campus regulations.
- Must be reliable and report to work on time on a daily basis.
- Strong detail oriented.
- Ability to quickly assess a situation and determine an appropriate response.
- Ability to adhere to established procedures and policies.
- Ability to professionally and respectively communicate with a divers population.
- Basic computer skills.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.