Public Safety Sergeant
The Carthage College Office of Public Safety is looking for Sergeant position applicants. The Sergeant is the direct supervisor of an assigned shift and reports to the Director of Public Safety and Assistant Director of Public Safety. The Sergeant ensures the safety and protection of students, faculty, staff, visitors, and college property.
- Maintain standards for public safety operations and performance, as well as related community programming.
- Assist with investigations.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and educational rights and privacy act about public safety issues.
- Provide leadership and coordinate training on assigned shifts.
- Assist with emergency preparedness activities on behalf of the department including, but not limited to assisting with Emergency Notification System messaging, training across campus, coordination of emergency signage across campus, and more.
- Associate’s Degree preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered instead of a degree.
- A minimum of two years experience as a public safety professional on a college campus or similar environment preferred, with a demonstrated ability to communicate with students.
- Experience working with culturally diverse populations is desirable.
- Trained in the National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command System (ICS).
- Valid driver’s license with good driving history required.
REQUIRED SKILLS, ABILITIES, OR LICENSURE
- Working knowledge of both federal and state law enforcement rules and regulations.
- Ability to interpret institutional policies, plans, objectives, rules, and regulations, and communicate this information to the campus community.
- Ability to prepare and present detailed studies and reports.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills in a diverse college setting are essential.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and be able to prepare and deliver presentations before small, medium, and large groups of people.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to be available 24/7 in the case of emergency and periodic supervisory presence on all shifts.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.