Job opportunity for new Carthage graduate
Post-Graduate One-Year Appointment
The Office of Marketing and Communications at Carthage College has an exciting opportunity for a recent or new Carthage graduate with experience and talents in videography and photography.
We are seeking an enthusiastic Visual Storyteller to join our award-winning team on a one-year contract. Gain valuable experience, build your portfolio, sharpen your production skills, and learn what it’s like to work in a variety of settings — all while creating beautiful new materials for Carthage social media, advertisements, and other marketing channels. This is a one-year position, with potential for moving to a permanent role.
The successful candidate will demonstrate an eagerness and ability to tell the Carthage story through videos, photos, and online stories that captivate and inspire our various audiences, and amplify strategic messages across marketing platforms.
The Visual Storyteller will be involved in a wide range of projects that strengthen and enhance the Carthage brand. Video and photo provide sparkling media for communicating with prospective students, current students, alumni, parents, community members, and our generous donors.
This position will creatively capture all that Carthage offers, from campus events and facilities, to College-wide initiatives; from faculty expertise to student research and alumni outcomes.
- Create strategic, entertaining, and/or informative visual stories (photo and video) for the Carthage College website, advertisements, social media platforms, email communications, meetings/presentations, and other media as needs arise.
- Create expertly edited photo and video stories worthy of wide audiences that showcase Carthage programs, facilities, student life, and extracurricular offerings, as well as video interviews with faculty, students, and alumni.
- Generate ideas for new visual stories and ads: storyboard concepts, film and conduct interviews, gather necessary photos and b-roll footage, and edit videos to meet the College’s marketing and communication standards and needs.
- Oversee the production of videos for the College’s virtual tour.
- Create and maintain a video style guide for Carthage, working to ensure all videos created by the Office of Communications meet the College’s brand guidelines.
- Organize, manage, and schedule photo and video shoots.
- Archive and organize valuable photos and video footage for reuse in future projects.
- Work with other Marketing and Communications team members to maximize visuals on our website and social media, and in our advertisements and other materials.
- Maintain all photo and video gear and equipment.
- All other administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in film and new media studies, public relations, communications, marketing, or related field.
- Demonstrated skills in visual storytelling, videography, and digital photography, including concept development, storyboarding, filming, and editing.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe programs including Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and After Effects.
- Able to use a personal computer and Web browser, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and a content management system.
- Ability to expertly operate mid- to high-level cameras, video cameras, microphones, and lighting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency and passion for modern photography/videography styles, visual storytelling formats including social media, and potential of user-generated content.
- Enthusiasm for a variety of video types — formal interviews, fun animations, short GIFs, etc. — and a commitment to quality work across genres.
- Must be dependable, respectful, adaptable, efficient, and personable.
- Must be self-motivated — able to multitask, work independently, and contribute to a team.
- Must be able to keep both small and large projects on track.
- Must be able to work well with a wide range of people, including students, faculty, and alumni.
- Must be comfortable working both independently and with our collaborative team of creative professionals.
- Must be able to juggle multiple projects, respond to immediate requests, and work in a high-energy, deadline-driven atmosphere.
- Must employ a deep respect and appreciation for our various audiences, their interests, and viewing habits.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Regular hours will be Monday-Friday, approximately 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but some evening and weekend hours may be required due to College events.
How to Apply
Applications must include (1) a letter of interest/a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) the name of a faculty member who can speak to your work and/or professional reference, and (4) a link to your portfolio of photography and video work. Please send your application as a single PDF to Elizabeth Young, Associated Vice President for Marketing and Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status, or status as an individual with a disability.