The Office of Marketing and Communications at Carthage College seeks an enthusiastic and talented Visual Storyteller to join our award-winning team. The successful candidate will demonstrate an eagerness and ability to tell the Carthage story through photos, videos, and online stories that captivate and inspire our various audiences, and amplify strategic messages across marketing platforms.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications, the Visual Storyteller will be involved in a wide range of projects that strengthen and enhance the Carthage brand. Photo and video provides sparkling media for communicating with prospective students, current students, alumni, parents, community members, and our generous donors.
We need an enterprising video and photography professional who is up-to-date on video and photography trends, and driven to creatively capture all that Carthage offers, from campus events and facilities, to College-wide initiatives; from faculty expertise to student research and alumni outcomes.
Preference will be given to candidates with additional skills such as animation, marketing, copywriting, advertising, social media, and graphic design.
- Create strategic, entertaining, and/or informative visual stories (photo and video) for the Carthage College website, advertisements, social media platforms, email communications, meetings/presentations, and other media as needs arise.
- Create expertly edited photo and video stories worthy of wide audiences that showcase Carthage programs, facilities, student life, and extracurricular offerings, as well as video interviews with faculty, students, and alumni.
- Generate ideas for new visual stories and ads: storyboard concepts, film and conduct interviews, gather necessary photos and b-roll footage, and edit videos to meet the College’s marketing and communication standards and needs.
- Suggest and implement ideas for new photo spreads and videos that will help Carthage recruit and retain students, and build alumni and donor support.
- Oversee the production of videos for the College’s virtual tour.
- Lead a team of student photographers and videographers. Recruit new students and provide training, coaching, constructive criticism, and technical/design support.
- Create and maintain a video style guide for Carthage, working to ensure all videos created by the Office of Communications meet the College’s brand guidelines.
- Organize, manage, and schedule photo and video shoots.
- Archive and organize valuable photos and video footage for reuse in future projects.
- Work with other Marketing and Communications team members to maximize visuals on our website and social media, and in our advertisements and other materials.
- Manage the College’s YouTube channel, making sure videos are titled, keyworded, transcribed, and organized in a way to maximize views and meet accessibility standards.
- Brainstorm and suggest ideas for adding photo/video components to publications, news stories, and other promotional efforts.
- Maintain all photo and video gear and equipment.
- All other administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Skills, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in screen media studies, communications, marketing, or related field.
- 1-5 years of experience in visual storytelling, digital photography, and videography, including concept development, storyboarding, filming, and editing, preferably in a newspaper, nonprofit, college, or university setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Adobe programs including Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere and After Effects. Able to use a personal computer and Web browser, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workspace, and a content management system.
- Ability to expertly operate mid- to high-level cameras, video cameras, microphones, and lighting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency and passion for modern photography/videography styles, visual storytelling formats including social media, and potential of user-generated content.
- Enthusiasm for a variety of video types — formal interviews, fun animations, short GIFs, etc. — and a commitment to quality work across genres.
- Must be dependable, respectful, adaptable, efficient, and personable.
- Must be self-motivated — able to multitask, work independently, and contribute to a team. Must be able to keep both small and large projects on track.
- Must be able to work well with a wide range of people, including students, faculty, donors, alumni, and administrators.
- Must be comfortable working both independently and with our collaborative team of creative professionals.
- Must be able to juggle multiple projects, respond to immediate requests, and work in a high-energy, deadline-driven atmosphere.
- Must employ a deep respect and appreciation for our various audiences, their interests, and viewing habits.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. Regular hours will be Monday-Friday, approximately 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., but some evening and weekend hours may be required due to College events.
- Occasional travel required.
How to Apply
Applications must include (1) a letter of interest/a cover letter, (2) resume, (3) three current professional references, and (4) a link to your portfolio of photography and video work. All materials should be combined into a single PDF and sent to Elizabeth Young at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Visual Storyteller Application” in your subject line.
Apply by June 20, 2022, for best consideration.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.