Join our team on our beautiful lakefront campus!
The Office of Marketing and Communications at Carthage College seeks a talented and enthusiastic Graphic Designer to join our award-winning team.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy, the Graphic Designer assists in the development and execution of the visual Carthage College identity, applying art, design, and copy layout skills to create engaging marketing and communication collateral, including print and digital brochures, publications, logos, advertisements, and other promotional materials.
The Graphic Designer supports marketing and communications initiatives that advance the College’s recruitment and fundraising efforts, and works to ensure a creative yet consistent look and feel in all marketing materials.
- Participate in the conception, planning, and production of print and digital marketing and communication materials, including brochures, posters, programs, flyers, exhibition pieces, signage, branded merchandise, advertisements, presentations, newsletters, web elements, and more.
- Scope, plan, and produce materials that support the College’s marketing plans and objectives, in collaboration with colleagues in the Office of Marketing and Communications, as well as partners across campus.
- Work with colleagues and partners to ensure understanding of project assignments, goals, audiences, and intended messages.
- Adhere to, maintain, and improve upon the College’s visual brand guidelines and quality standards across traditional, alternative, and digital channels, ensuring the consistency, usability, and quality of all marketing materials.
- Create original and visually engaging designs that will appeal to a wide range of audiences, including prospective students and families, current students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, and the general public.
- Ensure design pieces and marketing collateral effectively communicate desired messages to target audiences in support of recruitment goals, fundraising campaigns, and other College initiatives.
- Design in print and digital formats, using current production techniques, including up-to-date computer graphic systems, software, photos, and fonts, for clients or projects as assigned.
- Create digital marketing assets such as HTML emails, social media content, paid media ads, and other digital projects.
- Ensure timely completion of all assigned tasks and projects, as well as efficiency/effectiveness in overall creative services operations.
- Revise projects as necessary based on a collaborative feedback process.
- Take photos, select imagery, and edit photos as required.
- Manage and coach student designers to effectively evaluate work requests and set expectations of high-quality work for mid-to-low level projects.
- Create and distribute approved templates for use in the campus community.
- Design and layout features and pages as needed for The Carthaginian and other College publications.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, art, or related field.
- Minimum 1-3 years of design experience.
- Minimum 1-3 years of experience with up-to-date computer graphic systems and software (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Excellent visual design skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated design abilities using graphic design software (Adobe Creative Suite).
- Photography and photo editing experience.
- Strong organizational skills are required, particularly planning, managing deadlines, and evaluating project progress.
- Demonstrated ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage constructively with diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Able to use a personal computer and Web browser, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Workspace.
- Must be dependable, respectful, adaptable, efficient, and personable.
- Must be self-motivated — able to multitask, work independently, and contribute to a team. Must be able to keep both small and large projects on track.
- Must be able to juggle multiple projects, respond to immediate requests, and work in a high-energy, deadline-driven atmosphere.
- Must employ a deep respect and appreciation for our various audiences, their interests, and media habit
How to Apply:
Applications must include: a letter of interest/a cover letter, resume, samples of your work, and three current professional references. Samples can be shared via a link to an online portfolio. Please upload all other materials as a single PDF through the “Resume Upload” section of the link below.
Apply by March 20 for best consideration. Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.