JOB PURPOSE: Plans and performs preventive maintenance and emergency repairs on plumbing systems. Maintain the inspections of backflow preventer and boilers database.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Maintain and repairs general plumbing components to include toilets, urinals, faucets, hose bibs and drains.
- Install, repairs, or replaces domestic hot and cold water lines.
- Repair and replaces steam and hot water exchangers for major building heating systems and pools.
- Repair and replaces radiator valves, traps and condensate pipes
- Repairs and replaces domestic hot water heat pumps, chilled water pumps, sump pumps and sewage pumps.
- Install, tests, and repairs all sizes of backflow prevention devices.
- Leads troubleshooting efforts and repairs water and gas distribution systems.
- Ensure proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of work place safety and environmental practices.
- Provide sketches and drawings for contractors to complete installations.
- Research catalogs and vendors services for complex and/or customized system retrofits.
- Coordinate with supervisors, track corrective and preventive maintenance tasks given to subcontractors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.)
- Must have a High School diploma or GED
- Minimum three years of experience in the field of plumbing.
- Ability to work within the overall organization of the Physical Plant and to work collaboratively with skilled and unskilled personnel
- Must be able to follow oral and written instructions and demonstrate ability to express ideas effectively and concisely
- Must demonstrate compliance with all required safety policies and procedures
- Must be willing to seek training to enhance or learn new skills
- Must be accessible and available in the event of emergencies or when needed to meet the ongoing mission of the College
- Must pass pre-employment criminal background check.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver license
PROTECTIVE CLOTHING REQUIRED:
As required to perform duties
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: (The physical demands described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The phrases “occasionally,” “regularly,” and “frequently” correspond to the following definitions: “occasionally” means up to 1/3 of working time, “regularly” means between 1/3 and 2/3 of working time, and “frequently” means 2/3 and more of working time.)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is constantly required to stand and/or walk. The employee is frequently required to talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to lift 100 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Work involves almost constant exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, biohazardous materials, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, and/or loud noises.
- Considerable physical activities, requires heavy physical work, heavy lifting, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to 100 pounds, physical work is a primary part (more than 70%) of job.
- No or very limited to physical risk.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that requires the following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
The above statements reflect the general details necessary to describe the principle functions of the occupation described and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the occupation.
Located on the shore of Lake Michigan in the thriving Chicago-Milwaukee corridor, Carthage College blends the best liberal arts traditions with desirable degree programs, transformative learning opportunities, and personal attention from dedicated faculty and staff. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum with stunning lake views, is home to 2,600 undergraduate students and 200 graduate students. Founded in 1847, Carthage is consistently named a Best Midwestern College by The Princeton Review and a Most Innovative School by U.S. News & World Report. All Carthage employees play a vital part in the success of our students, as we work together to create an environment where all can achieve their true potential. Grow with Carthage.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.